• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Pearl Sutton
stewards:
  • Leigh Tate
  • jordan barton
  • r ranson
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Jay Angler
  • John F Dean
  • Nancy Reading
  • Beau Davidson
gardeners:
  • Heather Sharpe
  • Andrés Bernal
  • Ashley Cottonwood

Wanted recommendations on permaculture-type of plant/tree nursery sellers and catalogs

 
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm looking for any recommendations on permaculture-type of plant/tree nursery sellers and catalogs. I'm in the Southeast, but I would appreciate some recommendations on trusted nurseries from all over.  Fruit/nut trees and shrubs for starters, but others types welcome too. Thanks in advance!
 
gardener
Posts: 2334
Location: Cascades of Oregon
395
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I discovered Fedco recently.
 
Thomas Whitt
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you, they look great! I am also looking for any sources for buying organic nuts for growing, like hazelnuts, chestnuts, walnuts, etc. Any recommendations are much appreciated!
 
gardener
Posts: 1148
Location: the mountains of western nc
277
forest garden trees foraging chicken food preservation wood heat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
what’s your location, thomas? where i am in western north carolina, i’d recommend useful plants nursery.
 
master steward
Posts: 8807
Location: USDA Zone 8a
2657
dog hunting food preservation cooking bee greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I see Stark Brothers recommended quite often. They are in Missouri.

https://permies.com/wiki/76220/Stark-Bro-Tree-Nursery-MO

Their website:

https://www.starkbros.com/

There are several other nurseries on the Seed and Plant Source Review Grid:

https://permies.com/wiki/seed-reviews

Also your state tree nursery might be a place to find reasonably price trees.

 
pollinator
Posts: 386
Location: New Hampshire
171
hugelkultur forest garden chicken food preservation bee
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Forest Agriculture Nursery is a Mark Sheppard project.  They sell bundles of trees and shrubs for establishing food forests and silvopasture  projects.  
https://www.forestag.com/
 
Kate Muller
pollinator
Posts: 386
Location: New Hampshire
171
hugelkultur forest garden chicken food preservation bee
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I also love Edible Acres in NY.  

Sean Dembrosky has great You Tube channel and they have nursery plants for sale in the fall and spring.  I have had great success with their hazelnuts.  
https://www.edibleacres.org/

https://www.youtube.com/user/EdibleAcres
 
Kate Muller
pollinator
Posts: 386
Location: New Hampshire
171
hugelkultur forest garden chicken food preservation bee
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Also check you state government run  nursery.  Our  nursery here in NH carries a selection of native and other useful trees and shrubs that are very affordable.  Your state may have something similar.  
 
Kate Muller
pollinator
Posts: 386
Location: New Hampshire
171
hugelkultur forest garden chicken food preservation bee
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Robert Ray wrote:I discovered Fedco recently.



I love Fedco.  I have been ordering seeds, bulbs, trees, shrubs, potatoes from them for years.  They are out of Maine and  they do indicate where and how their products are grown.  They do have seasonal catalogs and each catalog has separate shipping times and charges.  I am looking forward to their seeds catalog opening up next month.  
 
pollinator
Posts: 809
Location: Porter, Indiana
95
trees
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Kate Muller wrote:Also check you state government run  nursery.  Our  nursery here in NH carries a selection of native and other useful trees and shrubs that are very affordable.  Your state may have something similar.  


At least here in Indiana, our state nursery is amazing. A pack of 100 two-year old pawpaw trees sells for only $35. They also carry walnut, pecan, persimmon, American plum, hazelnut, persimmon, and a whole bunch of non-fruit/nut trees.
 
Thomas Whitt
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

John Wolfram wrote:

Kate Muller wrote:Also check you state government run  nursery.  Our  nursery here in NH carries a selection of native and other useful trees and shrubs that are very affordable.  Your state may have something similar.  


At least here in Indiana, our state nursery is amazing. A pack of 100 two-year old pawpaw trees sells for only $35. They also carry walnut, pecan, persimmon, American plum, hazelnut, persimmon, and a whole bunch of non-fruit/nut trees.


Thank you everyone for the great suggestions -- much appreciated! I wasn't aware of the state run programs. That's great. Do you happen to know if they ship to other states? Those Indiana plants sound like a great deal!
 
Kate Muller
pollinator
Posts: 386
Location: New Hampshire
171
hugelkultur forest garden chicken food preservation bee
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Thomas Whitt wrote:

John Wolfram wrote:

Kate Muller wrote:Also check you state government run  nursery.  Our  nursery here in NH carries a selection of native and other useful trees and shrubs that are very affordable.  Your state may have something similar.  


At least here in Indiana, our state nursery is amazing. A pack of 100 two-year old pawpaw trees sells for only $35. They also carry walnut, pecan, persimmon, American plum, hazelnut, persimmon, and a whole bunch of non-fruit/nut trees.


Thank you everyone for the great suggestions -- much appreciated! I wasn't aware of the state run programs. That's great. Do you happen to know if they ship to other states? Those Indiana plants sound like a great deal!



NH you need to pick the seedlings up from the nursery  I don't know about other states.
 
greg mosser
gardener
Posts: 1148
Location: the mountains of western nc
277
forest garden trees foraging chicken food preservation wood heat
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
depends on the state. we’ve ordered seedlings from the missouri state program (we’re in north carolina)…
 
pollinator
Posts: 439
Location: Northwest Missouri
157
forest garden fungi gear trees plumbing chicken cooking ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can't say that I've used this place yet, only just discovered them recently: https://perennialcropsnursery.wordpress.com/?fbclid=IwAR03-aWDqkbrBGBholHK4g2su2SbYcv0XHdKUCrhN_y41FDQfZcyQMXFTGs
 
pollinator
Posts: 327
Location: Missoula, MT
117
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have fruit and nut trees for sale from Missoula, MT: https://mountaintimefarm.com/
 
Thomas Whitt
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Looks great! I'll definitely put an order in. Do you think most of your species will be alright in zone 8a?

Abe Coley wrote:I have fruit and nut trees for sale from Missoula, MT: https://mountaintimefarm.com/

 
Thomas Whitt
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for the recommendation; I'll check them out!

Matt Todd wrote:I can't say that I've used this place yet, only just discovered them recently: https://perennialcropsnursery.wordpress.com/?fbclid=IwAR03-aWDqkbrBGBholHK4g2su2SbYcv0XHdKUCrhN_y41FDQfZcyQMXFTGs

 
Thomas Whitt
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Edible acres is fantastic - love his operation!

Kate Muller wrote:I also love Edible Acres in NY.  

Sean Dembrosky has great You Tube channel and they have nursery plants for sale in the fall and spring.  I have had great success with their hazelnuts.  
https://www.edibleacres.org/

https://www.youtube.com/user/EdibleAcres

 
Thomas Whitt
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions -- looking forward to getting some trees from those sources!  I'm only about 2 years into my own nursery business, but I guess it makes sense to try and plug my online shop here too:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheNewWarm  
www.TheNewWarm.com (currently under construction).
We’re also willing to barter/trade. Our little permaculture microfarm nursery is just outside of Athens, GA in Winterville. We ship year-round, organic plants, seeds, and other health products all over the contiguous 48 states; some bare root and some potted.  Permie people can use the coupon code: “PermieHolidaySale” to get 10% off their order. Contact us about combining shipping on multiple orders.
We sell some ornamentals since we believe beauty has a vital purpose too and they can be a gateway to expose people to some edible and useful plants. Some plants that are listed below will be available again in the Spring 2022.
Here's an abbreviated list of some permaculture-type of plants that we cyclically grow and sell:
• Adirondack Purple Potatoes
• Agastache Hummingbird mint mixed varieties
• Aloe mixed varieties
• Amaranth
• Anise Hyssop
• Aronia
• Artemisia
• Asparagus heirloom varieties
• Asters
• Basils mixed varieties
• Beauty Berry
• Black elderberry
• Blueberry
• Buddliea, Butterfly bush mixed varieties
• Calendula
• Catmint, Nepeta racemosa
• Catnip, Nepeta cataria
• Celosia
• Cilantro
• Echinacea mixed varieties
• Egyptian Walking Onion, Forever Onion
• Elephant Ears, Colocasia esculenta
• Extrakta Sage (broadleaf)
• Ferns mixed varieties
• Fig mixed varieties
• Georgia Southern Collards
• Goji Berry (Black & Red)
• Gourmet Garlic (Hardneck)
• Hardy Kiwi
• Horseradish
• Indigo
• Lantana
• Large leaf sorrel
• Lavender mixed varieties
• Lemon mint
• Lemon Thyme
• Lemon Verbena
• Lemongrass
• Liatris
• Longevity spinach
• Lovage
• Luffa Louffa
• Lupine
• Malabar spinach
• Milkweed mixed varieties
• monarda bee balm mixed varieties
• Okinawa spinach
• Oregano
• Passion Fruit/Flower
• Peppermint
• Pomegranate
• Purple Tree Collard
• Raspberry mixed varieties
• Rosemary
• Rudbeckia
• Russian Sage
• Sea Berry Buckthorn
• Sedum mixed varieties
• Strawberry mixed varieties
• Summer Garden Thyme
• Sunchokes / Jerusalem Artichoke
• Sweet mint
• Sweet Potato Slips
• Thornless Blackberry
• Willow Pussy
• Willow Weeping
• Yarrow mixed varieties
Thanks in advance for any support or feedback!
 
Abe Coley
pollinator
Posts: 327
Location: Missoula, MT
117
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Thomas Whitt wrote:Do you think most of your species will be alright in zone 8a?



Yeah most likely. Here it gets -20F in the winter and 105F in the summer, and any plants that can't make it through the cold or the heat don't make the cut.
 
Posts: 49
Location: United States
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Thomas Whitt wrote:Thank you everyone for the great suggestions -- looking forward to getting some trees from those sources!  I'm only about 2 years into my own nursery business, but I guess it makes sense to try and plug my online shop here too:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheNewWarm  
www.TheNewWarm.com (currently under construction).
We’re also willing to barter/trade. Our little permaculture microfarm nursery is just outside of Athens, GA in Winterville. We ship year-round, organic plants, seeds, and other health products all over the contiguous 48 states; some bare root and some potted.  Permie people can use the coupon code: “PermieHolidaySale” to get 10% off their order. Contact us about combining shipping on multiple orders.
We sell some ornamentals since we believe beauty has a vital purpose too and they can be a gateway to expose people to some edible and useful plants. Some plants that are listed below will be available again in the Spring 2022.
Here's an abbreviated list of some permaculture-type of plants that we cyclically grow and sell:
• Adirondack Purple Potatoes
• Agastache Hummingbird mint mixed varieties
• Aloe mixed varieties
• Amaranth
• Anise Hyssop
• Aronia
• Artemisia
• Asparagus heirloom varieties
• Asters
• Basils mixed varieties
• Beauty Berry
• Black elderberry
• Blueberry
• Buddliea, Butterfly bush mixed varieties
• Calendula
• Catmint, Nepeta racemosa
• Catnip, Nepeta cataria
• Celosia
• Cilantro
• Echinacea mixed varieties
• Egyptian Walking Onion, Forever Onion
• Elephant Ears, Colocasia esculenta
• Extrakta Sage (broadleaf)
• Ferns mixed varieties
• Fig mixed varieties
• Georgia Southern Collards
• Goji Berry (Black & Red)
• Gourmet Garlic (Hardneck)
• Hardy Kiwi
• Horseradish
• Indigo
• Lantana
• Large leaf sorrel
• Lavender mixed varieties
• Lemon mint
• Lemon Thyme
• Lemon Verbena
• Lemongrass
• Liatris
• Longevity spinach
• Lovage
• Luffa Louffa
• Lupine
• Malabar spinach
• Milkweed mixed varieties
• monarda bee balm mixed varieties
• Okinawa spinach
• Oregano
• Passion Fruit/Flower
• Peppermint
• Pomegranate
• Purple Tree Collard
• Raspberry mixed varieties
• Rosemary
• Rudbeckia
• Russian Sage
• Sea Berry Buckthorn
• Sedum mixed varieties
• Strawberry mixed varieties
• Summer Garden Thyme
• Sunchokes / Jerusalem Artichoke
• Sweet mint
• Sweet Potato Slips
• Thornless Blackberry
• Willow Pussy
• Willow Weeping
• Yarrow mixed varieties
Thanks in advance for any support or feedback!



Took a look and so many I have been looking for . Quick question Thomas I see you have English lavender and will be ordering, but I am looking for French lavender plant it was my favorite and lasted many years, someone ripped it out thinking it was dead when it was over wintering. My heart broke. Do you happen to have access to that by any chance? It was unusal to grow in my area but I got it to .
 
Friends help you move. Good friends help you move bodies. This tiny ad will help:
2022 SKIP: Skills to Inherit Property (PEP1) event --July 11-22nd, Wheaton Labs
https://permies.com/w/skip-2022
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic