Some PEP badges allow for oddball points. This was introduced in this thread.
When submitting something in the official Oddball badge, you get points based on the time it would take a professional to do the same task if they have a bit of luck.
When submitting something within a badge that allows oddball points (Homesteading, Metalworking, etc), they are based on the time it would take a talented newbie to do the same task.
When you did something that should be in a badge but there isn't a BB for it, post about it in that badge and maybe it will become a BB. If that badge allows oddball points, you can submit it there, otherwise it has to go into Oddball badge.
You welded up a 20 foot unicorn - put it into the Metalworking Oddball thread You made a candle - put it in the regular Oddball thread since it isn't a clear fit for an existing badge
You build a pump house - post it in Homesteading since it should be a BB there and/or put it in Homesteading Oddball
I'd like to submit this for Electrical Oddball points:
I was putting tongue and groove boards up in the basement and found a spot where a wire was run under the floor joists instead of through them (it's the white romex one). It ran from an outlet in a finished wall to a junction box in the ceiling (luckily). So I had to disconnect it in the junction box, drill holes in the joists and re-run it back to the box.
If I had to call this project something, I'd name it "Relocate existing wire run less than 20 feet".
I have another oddball electrical submission. I installed a circulating pump for my greenhouse heat battery. I needed to wire on a cord/plug to plug it into an outlet and see if everything worked. This was wired well enough to be its permanent power source.
I am submitting for consideration my work installing a new battery bank for my household off-grid solar system. It is a 48 volt system in which the batteries started going bad last winter. I kept pulling bad batteries out of the bank so they wouldn't be an extra drain on the remaining ones, hoping to stretch the life of the bunch out as long as I could. However, I did shop around and purchase the 8 new batteries so I'd have them ready to go in. I was initially going to get the exact same brand battery but after much searching I found a different brand that was roughly $1000 cheaper for the set. (I hate shopping but with that kind of savings it was like getting paid several hundred dollars an hour to do it!!) The downside was that these new ones have a different style connector so I needed to buy materials/tools to make new jumpers as well. (This extra cost was factored into the final price I might add.) At some point I plan to make a detailed blog post about the whole process at my blog site, www.theartisthomestead.com, but it hasn't happened yet.
The hardest part was moving these batteries around myself at over 150 lbs each. (lift with your legs not your back!) Unfortunately the freight truck that delivered them couldn't drop them off at all close to where they go, but I knew that from the start. I'll include some shots of making the jumpers and then wiring it all together. Four batteries each get wired into series making a 48 volt set, with 2 sets total. Then the sets are wired in parallel together. It wasn't a hard job. All told I think I spent 2 or 3 hours removing the old batteries, making the cables, and installing the new ones. You could add a couple more hours for hauling the batteries from the end of my drive to the pole barn on the back edge of the property, but that's not really electrical work.
Hmm... I got a "comment too long" error. I guess I'll delete some of the photos. If you want more let me know and I'll post them in a second comment.
I'll preface by saying that I am a sparky (Australian for Electrician) by trade and to have a switchboard like this was irritating me for the longest time.
So as a means to make me sane again and future proof my house for eventual grid-tied batteries I decided to overhaul my switchboard and increase its size to the biggest it can be.
Start time: 11:00
Finish time: 13:30
I had all materials and all equipment that I needed.
The switches that I upgraded went from standard circuit breakers to RCBO's or (GFCI breakers for my American friends) except for the solar breakers because changing that to an RCBO messes with the feed in capability to the grid.
Overall very happy with the work eith no need to fault find (which is always a relief) and hoping for max points since this is my field of speciality. Cheers!
The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. - Job 1:21
Nice work! Certified for 4 oddball points
I am going down to the lab. Do NOT let anyone in. Not even this tiny ad: