Here are some of the benefits of rocket mass heaters:
• cheap to run. About a tenth the cost of natural gas, electric or conventional wood heat.
• clean. They emit about a hundredth of the smoke of a conventional wood stove.
• good for the environment. Less than 2% of CO2 emissions of natural gas or electric heat. Can reduce your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 cars.
• sustainable. It uses a renewable fuel which is easy to find and store.
• cheap to build. About $200 to $600.
• quick to build. Often built in a weekend
• luxuriant. Like the luxury of a heated floor but without all that standing.
This is all about the ol' reliable cob style rocket mass heater. Watch how a couple spent a winter in a tipi with only a rocket mass heater for heat, and how comfortable they were. Even at 26 below! This DVD works as a stand-alone purchase, or can be purchased with the rest of the set.
DVD 2: pebble style
Watch the construction of three pebble style rocket mass heaters. This style of construction is easier to deconstruct and move than the traditional cob style heaters. They are also better for installing on wood floors as they are generally much lighter.
DVD 3: shippable core
This DVD shows an early prototype, and some how-tos for a variety of techniques for building one.
DVD 4: innovators event
This event has been captured on film, featuring the best of the best in the rocket mass heater arena. This video shows a variety of builds such as a rocket mass heater shaped in a circle with glass to show the burn; an outdoor rocket mass heater/cooker/smoker; A "batch box style" rocket mass heater with measured output cleaner than anything we have ever encountered; and an indoor rocket stove, griddle and water heater. Very cool stuff.
Please feel free to comment below. We love to hear your feedback!