Leather is skin. When it's alive, it receives nourishment in the form of natural oils from the body. Leather products no longer receive that nourishment and are therefore prone to drying out and eventually cracking. Good leather maintenance and conditioning will give a very long life to your leather gloves or mittens.
For this BB, you will perform full maintenance on leather gloves or mittens using natural products.
- inspect for areas that need pre-repair to prevent needing full repair
- clean the leather
- waterproof or condition
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Cleaning a pair of leather gloves or mittens.
- Conditioning and/or waterproofing them.
To document your completion of the BB, provide proof of the following as pictures or a video (less than two minutes):
- describe the kind of leather and the techniques used for maintenance.
- Show your gloves or mittens before performing maintenance.
- Describe and repair the issue
- Show cleaning the item.
- Show conditioning and/or waterproofing.
- Show your properly cleaned and conditioned gloves or mittens.
It took a LOT of scrubbing to get these clean. Once they were cleaned, I let them dry out for a few days, and then got ready to oil them. I oiled them with some salve (beeswax+coconut oil) that I'd already mixed together, along with some lanolin.
They took a LOT of salve+lanolin. Since they were suede, there was no real way to wipe the oil of. So I just let that oil soak in really good, and wore the gloves. My hands took the excess oil, and the gloves are now nice and supple and wonderful to use in the garden!