The photos below show a little section along my driveway. Originally it was a pile of rubble left by the bulldozer that cut in the driveway. The pile was mostly fractured lava chunks with a bit of dirt mixed in. This area is exposed full sun, plus is dry. It's tough to get much of anything to grow in this spot.
I'm in the process of transforming this spot into some sort of production that will benefit my homestead. I haven't devoted a lot of time on it, but I've put a few hours into it about 3 times a year. Initially I moved the rocks around to create some sort of terracing. Then I spread a bit of compost and covered it with mulch. Eventually I planted some excess stuff I had on hand ...... Society garlic, garlic chives, sweet potato cuttings, and cactus cuttings. Each time I worked this project, I'd weed out the few volunteer ferns and grasses, try to scratch in some compost, add a few more plants to replace the ones that died, then mulch it area. As I mentioned, this has been done several times now over the past few years.
Presently I noted that I'm making progress. The society garlic and chives are actually thriving. The cactus took root and are slowly growing. The sweet potato vines are barely making it, but their roots are helping create soil. Bromeliads and pineapples now call this place home, and since they both can handle dry poor soil, they are surviving.
I could get this spot into production quicker, but I don't have the time. So I am content to let things be as they are. The soil is gradually being created. The plants are capturing and holding wind blown tree Ieaves now, helping even more with soil creation. And the spot is looking nicer than just a pile of bare rubble. Since moisture will be a problem in this spot, my plan is to grow plants that can tolerate the dryness. The sweet potato vines should help shade the soil from the tropical sun.