Permies likes permaculture and the farmer likes geoff lawton, 'greening the desert', original and update permies
  Search | Permaculture Wiki | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies | World Domination!
Register / Login

permies » forums » growies » permaculture
Bookmark "geoff lawton, Watch "geoff lawton, New topic
Forums: geoff lawton DVDs, movies, videos and documentaries permaculture forest garden permaculture design greening the desert
Author

geoff lawton, 'greening the desert', original and update

Suzy Bean
steward

Here, Paul interviews geoff lawton: http://www.richsoil.com/permaculture/514-podcast-089-geoff-lawton-1/

www.thehappypermaculturalist.wordpress.com
George Collins

I was so disappointed in that first podcast. At no time did Mr. Lawton say, " Watah ahvestin ditchoncotuah."

I call for a retake!

Mr. Lawton, forgive my over-the-topness.  I actually greatly enjoyed listening to your comments.  I am a relative newbie but even so, the podcast that Paul did with you has been, to date, the only one that has caused a refreshment of the Podcast page every ten minutes or so throughout the day in eager anticipation of availing myself to your wisdom. 

I am now equally anxious to hear part two.

"Solve world hunger . . . tell no one."  The, the, the, . . . THE GRINCH!
Tyler Ludens
pollinator

Loving the podcast. 

Idle dreamer

Melodee Rose

Loved this podcast!  Being a newbie in the Portland metro area - I feel as if I won the lottery!  All he had to say about our climate was sooooo motivating and encouraging!  Can't wait for part two.....
Valerie Dawnstar

I thought this podcast was very inspiring.  While he might have been answering Paul's questions, I thought he did get to talk about what he wanted to talk about as well. 
Really appreciated hearing his take on true wealth - clean & abundant soil, food, air, water, family, community. 
And that was so wonderful to hear him say the measure of a teacher is how many teachers better than one's self you can produce.  We need to breed permaculture
Also, that we need people in order to reverse the damage done to the earth.
Am eagerly awaiting part 2!

Furthering Permaculture next to Lake Ontario. www.oswego.edu/permaculture

Rocket Mass Heater workshop (Ernie & Erica Wisner) in April 2015 - https://www.facebook.com/events/298154697021978/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
Marcella Rose

Valerie  Dawnstar wrote:
I thought this podcast was very inspiring.  While he might have been answering Paul's questions, I thought he did get to talk about what he wanted to talk about as well. 
Really appreciated hearing his take on true wealth - clean & abundant soil, food, air, water, family, community. 
And that was so wonderful to hear him say the measure of a teacher is how many teachers better than one's self you can produce.  We need to breed permaculture. 
Also, that we need people in order to reverse the damage done to the earth.
Am eagerly awaiting part 2!

I agree...what a GREAT podcast!!!  Oh my goodness...  My husband showed a few sparks of jealousy as the name "Geoff Lawton" came out of my mouth a few too many times between yesterday and today.  I LOVE his concepts and would love to get all of his videos right now...but those are on a wishlist along with several other things! 

No land yet, but growing what I can with what I have!
nancy sutton
volunteer

Location: Federal Way, WA - Western Washington (Zone 8 - temperate maritime)

Ditto!  Thanks Paul and Geoff   Wonderful.  So glad to get a master's answers to Paul's burning questions.  Geoff is so inspirational, with such a grand and compassionate vision for the future.  Bill should be proud

It's time to get positive about negative thinking    -Art Donnelly
Suzy Bean
steward

Geoff talks to Paul again (part 2) in this podcast: Podcast 090
Tony Elswick

where do we ask questions? I am so sry bc I know you have heard this a million times already but I really want to ask him something
paul wheaton
steward

∞
Perma Republican wrote:where do we ask questions? I am so sry bc I know you have heard this a million times already but I really want to ask him something

Ask a question in this forum. The permaculture forum. Geoff will come by once or twice a day (through thursday and maybe friday morning) and pick out threads that sound interesting.

sign up for my daily-ish email / rocket mass heater 4-DVD set / permaculture playing cards
Marcella Rose

Suzy Bean wrote:Geoff talks to Paul again (part 2) in this podcast: Podcast 090

I got it to download...I will listen to it in the morning!

Mary Saunders wrote:A lot of permies end up being too cranky to work well with government on a consistent basis.

Maybe George Washington Carver was a permie before his time, and being African-American, it is a very good thing that he didn't care a whit about patenting things and all that. 

Carver actually got summoned to talk about peanuts in congress, where he made an absolute sensation, then went back to Tuskegee on the train to his messy lab where other famous guys made pilgrimages to see him.

If we can call Carver a permie, he was probably the first and last humble, tactful one. 

When we get to Fukuoka, we start with the cranky, not-suffering-fools-gladly type.  I am at a loss to think of any well-known permies who could pass for diplomats. 

Holzer, Mollison, David Blume, so many of these guys who run around the planet are kind of an acquired taste, as I see it. 

I hope someone can prove me wrong on this.  I love Carver, but I confess I could not stay as cool as he did, as much as I wish I could.  Maybe in a future lifetime...

Thanks Mary for trying to answer my question. I do know how frustrating it can be to deal with government, especially one that has such an unsteady focus. No criticism here, just acknowledgment of the realities of rule by the people. Thanks again for your input.
Lacia Lynne Bailey

shamanmonkey Hatfield wrote:  He's playing with an area that doesn't really need to be terraformed(a whole rant unto itself).

I'd like to hear more about this.

Is this a case of "just because we can, doesn't mean we should?"

Too often I think we are not clear about WHY we are changing the landscape, what our real goal is and any responsibility we have to respect diversity of place and purpose. I've been to the Jordan desert and while growing food and making green thrive are mostly noble goals, I would disagree with somone's post who described it as a "moonscape" and I would suggest it *might* have things to learn from too, or just for diversity of place to exist.

I'm not saying what he's done is a bad thing either, it would take a whole lot more looking to "IN CONTEXT" to have anything intelligent to say about it. That's why I want to hear more from ShamanMonkey about what is the need being addressed or not here. Too often I see Permaculture-titled efforts jumping in with cookie cutter solutions that might be very effective and successful, but not always at the right target... I just think there should be more discussion and clarity on the goal/target and the context in many cases.

ShamanMonkey, what did you see that suggested the area may not need terraform efforts?

Anyone else have thoughts on the PREMISE of this, what made this the best choice for this place?
Lacia Lynne Bailey

Marcella Rose wrote:
Suzy Bean wrote:Geoff talks to Paul again (part 2) in this podcast: Podcast 090

I got it to download...I will listen to it in the morning!

I'm having trouble getting it to download or be viewable. I see a black bar maybe 3/8" high were I expect to see a video play area. Below that is a link to download it, I've tried opening and "Save Target" and get a blank page for the former and a generic "can not download" message for the latter Save try.

Anyone else having trouble? What am I missing?

it's a podcast not a video if you click on the little arrow or mark on the left of the black bar then it will start or at least it does for me
Lacia Lynne Bailey

Pam Hatfield wrote:it's a podcast not a video if you click on the little arrow or mark on the left of the black bar then it will start or at least it does for me

Yes, I realized my brain short after I posted... major lack of sleep!

Earlier, no arrow or anything was showing, now the play controls are there, so who knows, just cyber weirdness.

Thanks for response!
Wakan Burrows

I saw Geoff's Greening the Desert about a year ago. Changed my whole perspective!

Great interview, both parts. I especially like the question about the tools a permaculturist will benefit from having at hand.

I really want to see all the DVDs now.

Thanks permies.com
Suzy Bean
steward

Podcast review of Geoff Lawton's Urban Permaculture DVD: podcast
paul wheaton
steward

∞
Anybody have any questions for Geoff about food forests? I'll be talking to him tomorrow. He is going to listen to my food forest podcast and then give feedback. So if you haven't listened to that podcast in a while, you might give it a listen and see if you have questions.
Tyler Ludens
pollinator

With the current North American drought and fears of a new Dust Bowl, would it be prudent to move ahead with earth moving for swales at this time in order to be able to store more moisture when it does eventually rain, or would it be better to wait?

(not exactly about food forest, I know, but still in his area of expertise)
Paulo Silva

Hi Paul, maybe asking for tips about pruning and grafting trees, his favorite grafts and when we really need to cut parts of trees (disease protection), I'm sure he knows a lot about those subjects.

About rocks, can't remember if he's crazy about them just like Sepp is (ex: rock mulch and heat traps)

Not really related to food forests but I wonder if Geoff is working on another Permaculture DVD.

This comment is late I know, sorry about it

Always a pleasure to listen to the wise Geoff Lawton and the funny Paul Wheaton, best regards

paul wheaton wrote:Anybody have any questions for Geoff about food forests? I'll be talking to him tomorrow. He is going to listen to my food forest podcast and then give feedback. So if you haven't listened to that podcast in a while, you might give it a listen and see if you have questions.
Michael James

I first heard of Geoff Lawton yesterday. I spent like 5 hours today listening to podcast and trying my damndest to get up to speed (i'm like 12 years behind). All I can say is wow. I'm gonna have to listen to podcast 90 about 2 more times before I move on. Geoff your work is inspiring. I'm looking forward to following your work in the future. You are doing a great service to humanity. Thank you!

"Line upon line, precept upon precept"
Cal Burns

Tyler Ludens wrote:With the current North American drought and fears of a new Dust Bowl, would it be prudent to move ahead with earth moving for swales at this time in order to be able to store more moisture when it does eventually rain, or would it be better to wait?

(not exactly about food forest, I know, but still in his area of expertise)

Being in central Tx. as well I would have to concur with Tyler. Our weather is not as severe as last year but we are still in the midst of a long-term drought in Texas and area lakes are near all time lows. Given the fact that our part of the country still has a thriving economy, legions of people are moving here and water (and the lack thereof) will become a critical problem in the next several years as the population grows.
I have been trying to build up my soil on my small spread, using mulch, planting cover crops, rainwater collection, and am looking to put in swales/hugel beds to capture any rain/moisture I can. Have held off putting in swales because I'm not too crazy about doing in 100 plus degree temps and want to make sure I design it the best way before going to all the trouble. Spent yesterday pushing down and cutting up a dead plum tree that had gotten taken over by ants.
Made a wicking bed which I had to use heavy shade cloth for small tomatoes to even grow there.
Also have been trying to buy heirloom seeds and perennials that are drought tolerant and supposedly do well in high temps. My best growing plant at the moment is malabar spinach.
Would love for Geoff to offer advice for our areas going through long-term drought conditions, and to offer any advice on types of edible plants to look at that would thrive here.

Am looking to start using greywater next year to go to fruit trees I'll be planting, with various cover crops around them. That's the only way I can see where I can get fruit trees to grow here.

Thanks Paul/Geoff.
Tyler Ludens
pollinator

Cal Burns wrote:advice on types of edible plants to look at that would thrive here.

Think "Jordan" I bet!
Cal Burns

Tyler Ludens wrote:
Cal Burns wrote:advice on types of edible plants to look at that would thrive here.

Think "Jordan" I bet!
Ha, I've seen that video on YouTube. Now that's dry!
Fabrizia Annunziata

Question for Geoff: Is it okay to set up a viewing of your DVDs in a public place such as a library or coffee house?
paul wheaton
steward

∞
New podcast with Geoff:

http://www.richsoil.com/permaculture/1898-195-geoff-lawton-on-his-food-forests-dvd/

LaLena MaeRee

Rude! You tricked me Paul, I clicked that video and it didn't work ..and I was so hoping to see a Lawton clip I hadn't seen yet

When you throw something away, there is no 'away'
Geoff Lawton
permaculture expert

Hi Fabrizia
yes that is fine go right ahead if it is a free showing.

If you charge for it, then PRI would appreciate a donation to help us keep making these DVD's.

Cheers Geoff Lawton

Check out www.permaculture.org.au/permies

Famous for "greening the desert" and several permaculture DVDs including his latest: Urban Permaculture
paul wheaton
steward

∞
Geoff Lawton's Ted Talk

Also, check out his new website geofflawton.com complete with a 34 minute video.

And, then the latest podcast complete with him dubbing me "The Duke of Permaculture" http://www.permies.com/t/18925

Dale Hodgins
pollinator

Bumping Geoff to the front of the line.

Dale's picks - These are some of my favorite threads. Greed - http://www.permies.com/t/10736/md/unbridled-greed-ambition-compatible-permaculture My garden - http://www.permies.com/t/27910/projects/Dale-Day-Garden ethics - http://www.permies.com/t/11534/permaculture/frustration-ethics Good wood bad wood http://www.permies.com/t/12206/hugelkultur/Hugelkultur-Good-wood-Bad-wood Alder - http://www.permies.com/t/10609/plants/Alder-nitrogen-fixation-native-tree Bees - http://www.permies.com/t/10917/bees/time-replace-European-honey-bee Pulling nails - http://www.permies.com/t/10249/natural-building/Removing-nails-recycled-wood-techniques

subject: geoff lawton, 'greening the desert', original and update

cast iron skillet 49er

more from paul wheaton's glorious empire of web junk: cast iron skillet diatomaceous earth sepp holzer raised garden beds raising chickens lawn care flea control missoula electric heaters permaculture videos permaculture books