Melba Corbett wrote:There is a difference in toxicity levels between Sambucus Nigra, (European varieties), and Sambucus Canadensis (American varieties), and then there is the Sambucus Racemose (red variety of berries). Young plants are apparently more toxic. With goats, it may depend on how much they eat of it. If they have plenty of variety and not overly hungry they tend to not eat as much of a toxic plant. My goats frequently eat elderberry and have never had problems. I knew a lady who juiced the berries, including the unripe ones and got very sick with diarrhea and vomiting. Heating or cooking the berries neutralizes the toxins. Goats can often ingest plants people or other livestock cannot eat, with no problems. Probably best to proceed with caution, maybe try one or two animals first to see if they get sick from it, before turning the whole herd in.