I did some carpentry today! I took all the steps I said I would yesterday. It was all very smooth, except for the very beginning this morning. I was using a Dewalt DW716 miter saw. Curtis had the head locked down for safety, which is a good thing to do. The issue was I had no idea where the release pin was. I've used miter saws before so I'm not a complete noobie, but I spent about ten minutes searching that saw up and down to no avail. I asked Kate, and she didn't know. I googled the saw name and the manual popped right up, thankfully. I opened it up, and there was the diagram. It said the pin should be just below the motor housing . "Okay, great", I thought. I looked below the housing - no pin. Now I was seriously confused. I kept at it though. I just started poking all the objects that even remotely resembled a pin...and eventually I poked the pin! The saw popped up, and I was able to get to work. From there things were fairly smooth. I didn't have the speed sqaure we had yesterday, but I just made multiple marks to make sure I was making the cuts right. Now if you don't look closely things look perfect. It isn't quite though, some spots are off by about an 1/8". Curtis doesn't mind though, I think he knows I'm not quite a professional carpenter.
It sure was fun work though. I had my country station on, and I got into a groove: identify bad end, measure 62 1/4", cut, mark 1" from each edge, identify good side, and screw down. I just kept repeating that process until it was all finished up. Then I took a nice cold shower to clean up and get the sawdust off.
I asked Curtis about the pin when he got back from work, and he told me the handle end got sheared off when the saw got banged off a truck one time - so THAT'S why.
I put together a gif, as should be expected by now.