I made some hen saddles for my chickens in the hopes they'd protect them from rooster damage. Alas, I find that they frequently flip up and I spend a lot of time chasing hens around trying to adjust them so they cover their back. Even doing this multiple times a day, it seems that even when the saddles stay in place, the rooster's nails always end up under the edge of the saddles and the girls are still getting cuts. I'm a beginner at sewing and not very good at figuring out how I can alter things to make them fit better. Especially when I don't have a cooperative model to try things on, as is the case with the chickens. Has anyone had success getting hen saddles to stay put? A different design for one that works well? Or perhaps ideas about how to change this design to make it more effective?
This is the pattern I used:
The ideas for changes I have so far are to change the point where the elastic attaches so it is further back, hopefully holding down the saddle more effectively. I don't really know if this will lead it to being more uncomfortable where it sits on the wing and/or fall off completely. An elastic strap from one side to the other that would go underneath the hen to hold the sides down seems like it could work. Except I can imagine problems with it sliding around lots or possibly pressing on the crop. I need a hen mannequin so I don't have to stress the girls trying ideas! I'd prefer to modify the saddles I have, if possible. If there's a better design out there that works well, that would be great too.