truck to generator*
Permies likes food as medicine and the farmer likes should people eat any grain? permies
  Search | Permaculture Wiki | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies | World Domination!
Register / Login
permies » forums » living » food as medicine
Bookmark "should people eat any grain?" Watch "should people eat any grain?" New topic
Author

should people eat any grain?

Jeanine Gurley
steward

One more thought:

Could it also be that our climate has an effect on what we are supposed to eat?

The people of the north may do better eating a more meaty/fatty diet in the winter and transition to fruits and vegetables in the spring summer and fall.

The people further south where it doesn't freeze might do better to eat less, if any, meat/fat having fruits and vegetables year-round.  Thier fats would be provided by nature in the fall in the form of nut crops.

1. my projects
Tyler Ludens
pollinator

Jeanine Gurley wrote:

So my point is - could it be that we are 'intended' to eat grains when they are in season as many of the other animals of the earth do?  Unless we are more like rodents and are intended to store food for the winter.  Lets make that bees - I prefer being compared to a bee.

Humans seem to be opportunistic omnivores, as far as our teeth and digestive systems tell us.  Many groups of humans have stored various foods for the winter or hard times.  The tendency to grow a lot of storable food (grain) seems to be a feature only of civilized humans, though non-civilized humans collected and ate grass seeds.  They might have stored some of these seeds. 

Idle dreamer

Tyler Ludens
pollinator

Jeanine Gurley wrote:
The people further south where it doesn't freeze might do better to eat less, if any, meat/fat having fruits and vegetables year-round.  Thier fats would be provided by nature in the fall in the form of nut crops.

Here in my region summer is a time of dormancy, not abundance, of plants, especially in drought.  A readily available food here at 30 degrees north latitude during summer is meat.  The natives ate a lot of bison.    Fruits and vegetables available now are prickly pears, sotol, and if you're lucky, persimmons.  Growing fruits and vegetables here is very difficult without irrigation, and even with it, difficult because of the abundance of critters who see the green garden as a beckoning oasis amid the parched landscape.  It might make more sense to be a meatatarian and eat a lot of varmints. 
Michael Radelut

I'm in the middle of a little experiment that everybody should attempt at least once:

For the first time in my adult life, I went without any form of grain for three days.

I had plenty of vegetables, fat, fruit, nuts and chocolate. The feeling wasn't altogether a comfortable one,
because I had to really stuff myself about twice a day to stop the hunger, but was fine after that.
I invariably ate my daily bar of chocolate in one go, and felt a little sick after that (the usual reaction, then) but today I experienced something that went way beyond:

I made a buckwheat pancake, a small one, with only 30g of buckwheat flour.

A few minutes after I'd eaten it, I experienced a HUGE high - the last time I had this king of blood rush, hands trembling and all, was when the oral surgeon had to give me three times the normal amount of narcotic during surgery!
And in addition to that, I immediately had to eat everything within reach.

If eating a whole bar of sugar-loaded chocolate merely causes a bit of uneasyness, yet a few grams of flour shoots you into orbit after a mere three days of abstinence, I think I'll abstain from now.

Fred Morgan
steward

Location: Northern Zone, Costa Rica - 200 to 300 meters Tropical Humid Rainforest

I almost never eat any kind of grain - except in the form of chicken.  Wheat and I don't like each other, and I tend to balloon up with grain. I can keep my weight down if I stay way from grain and too many potatoes.

That being said, grain products are a treat for me, especially nice when I am really active, like say stopping at a bakery when on a 2 hour bike ride. Grain then doesn't effect me at all.

If I eat bread without exercise - well it is pretty much a guaranteed nap. I have done this when I need to sleep.

Sustainable Plantations and Agroforestry in Costa Rica
Sarah Pope
Presenter

Grains are fine if carefully prepared. The reason some are coming to the extreme conclusion that grains are bad is because most folks have terrible digestion anymore and can't handle them.

The problem is not the grains, it is folks' guts.

Heal the gut, the grains digest fine.

Numerous traditional societies consumed grains and were perfectly healthy - even superior to physique and strength to those that did not eat any grains (The Dinkas of Africa ate grains and were superior in physical form and stronger than the Masai a neighboring tribe that ate no grains).

If one needs to go off grains for awhile to heal the gut, that is of course fine, but thinking one has to eliminate them forever to achieve maximum health is a fallacy.

We eat grains in my home as I feel they are important to a balanced, nonextreme diet. They were also a big part of the diet of Northern Europeans which is my cultural heritage, so not to eat them would be foolish given the genome I was born with.

Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist

National Weston A. Price Conference in Santa Clara

Regional Weston A. Price Conference in Buffalo, NY

The Raw Milk Symposium
Zach Lesselbaum

Here is how to eat whole organic grains

1. soak for 24 hours to neutralize the phytic acid factors

2. one example would be brown rice with 33% wheat berries

3. another is homemade bread that needs slow fermentation of a day or more in
    a cool or cold place.

4. Eat in isolation meaning>

5. make a meal of only whole grain bread or only brown rice or only millet
    and so on

6. do not eat grain with other foods

7. chew thoroughly

8. to repeat--- eat grain as an isolated meal

9. a few slices of dense homemade bread is in fact a meal. It will fill you
    up.

The one food you can eat withe grain to improve grain digestion-
____pickled_____
be it a little kraut or a dill pickle spear but I would start with only 100% grain meals
The grain problem for weak digestive systems starts with eating grains as part of a diverse normal meal

I agree. Here's the link: food forest dvd

subject: should people eat any grain?

cast iron skillet 49er

more from paul wheaton's glorious empire of web junk: cast iron skillet diatomaceous earth sepp holzer raised garden beds raising chickens lawn care flea control missoula electric heaters permaculture videos permaculture books