I built a mallet at the PEP1 event today! The handle was a dead chunk of serviceberry and the head is from the same tree my club mallet came from. I really lucked out on getting the handle to fit. Shaving it down on the shave horse was very helpful. Thanks Jeremy for the use of your brace and bit
"Hundreds of years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the type of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that it becomes a tourist destination"
My first compound mallet... some freshly cut fir for the head, some older, much drier fir for the handle. I clamped the head in a vise to use a manual drill, then used hatchet and Morakniv for shaping and a rasp to smooth the end to go in the hole. Knocked it down and in with the hatchet and there is no movement at all.