For this BB you will create a salve out of cottonwood buds.
- Make a journal page about a recipe for cottonwood buds salve along with dosage information.
- Make the cottonwood buds salve, and take a picture of it being made, and of it being finished.
- Make a journal page about the uses and attributes of cottonwood buds and how to ID and harvest it. Add it to the herb section.
Website pages on how to make cottonwood buds salve and the benefits of it:
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must post:
- a picture of your journal page for your recipe and dosage information for cottonwood buds salve
- a picture of your cottonwood buds, freshly harvested
- a picture of the cottonwood buds in the oil with a description of what oil and other ingredients you used
- a picture of your completed salve in its permanent, labelled container/jar
- a picture of your journal page about cottonwood buds attributes
I made the infused cottonwood bud oil for the Balm of Gilead badge bit. I'd taken a ton of pictures when harvesting the cottonwood buds, and they are somehow all very depressingly gone. I went out and took pictures today of one of the cottonwood trees I harvested from, and some of the (now-too-far-gone) cottonwood buds lying on the ground that I did not harvest.
Buds on the ground (obviously, this is NOT the time right now to get buds)
Here's one of the many cottonwood trees.
Buds (April 20th, a good week or two after I harvested them), soaking in coconut oil and cocoa butter (on top of the car, under an old black shirt, to stay melted)
Straining out the oil
Melting in the beeswax
Labeled Cottonwood Bud Salve (also known as Balm of Gilead Salve)
Journal Pages (sorry that the image wants to be vertical like that. My camera messes up the file whenever I hold it level, I think)