Decoction is a method of extraction by boiling herbal or plant material to dissolve the chemicals of the material, which may include leaves, stems, roots, bark and rhizomes.
For this BB you will create a decoction from thyme:
- Make a journal page about a recipe for thyme decoction along with dosage information
- Make the decoction, and take a picture of it being made, and of it being finished.
- Make a journal page about the uses and attributes of thyme and how harvest and prepare thyme. Add it to the herb section.
Page with instructions on how to make a herbal decoction:
To show you've completed this BB you must post pictures of the following:
- the journal page showing your recipe and dosage information for the attributes of the thyme decoction.
- picture of the thyme herb being harvested
- picture of the decoction being made
- picture of the finished decoction in its labelled jar.
- the journal page showing the attibutes thyme and how to harvest and prepare it
Before today, I had no idea how lovely it was to sip on a thyme beverage!
Here's my basic recipe for twiggy herb decoctions as well as the information for the particular herb: thyme. Copy and pasted from my word doc. natural medicine journal.
Decoctions Basic Recipe (twigs) 1 teaspoon dried herbs or 1 Tablespoon fresh herbs to every 1 cup of cold water
Create 3 cups for a day’s dose
1. Place herbs and cold water into saucepan
2. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes
3. Strain into a container with lid, cover, and let cool slightly
Drink one cup three times a day. May be drunk hot or cold.
I eyeballed the herb amount and went with 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
Thyme Thymus Vulgaris
Infusion and Decoction
Chest infections, stomach chills, or irritable bowel syndrome.
I really need to be better about flipping my photos around :)