This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum. Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in Animal Care.
In this Badge Bit you will make a house for bats.
Here's a video that shows the construction and installation guidelines for building a bat house. This video shows some plastics, caulk and paint that won't work for us. Extra screws and some fabric or wool batting could eliminate the need for caulk. Charring the wood could eliminate the need for paint. Be creative.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- it must be designed to satisfy the nesting needs of bat species in your area
- it must be designed to protect the bats from rain
- natural wood and steel/wood fasteners (no glue, plywood, stain, paint)
- it must be mounted in a location conducive to bat nesting (height, orientation to sun, etc)
To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must:
- post a photo of your bat house parts and pieces
- post a close up photo of your finished bat house
- post a photo of your bat house in its final mounted location
Whip out those weird instruments of science and probe away! I think it's a tiny ad: