• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Mike Haasl
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • James Freyr
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • jordan barton
gardeners:
  • Jay Angler
  • Greg Martin
  • Leigh Tate
 
steward
Posts: 33230
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So maybe the message is short:

This is an attempt to solve world problems.   Not with politics, but with each of us doing a small thing that not only makes things better for everybody, but puts more money in your pocket and makes a more luxuriant life for you.  

If you put in a few bucks, you get lots of stuff, and you further a project to REALLY make a positive difference without anger or politics.

Because so many people want to see this sort of approach be a huge success, all levels are loaded with lots of stuff.  But the stretch goals have super loaded the $100 level.

If nothing else, if you are willing to tip your waiter, waitress, barista, pizza delivery, can you tip the hundreds of people that are trying to make global positive change?




??
 
Posts: 98
Location: Frederick, MD zone7b
28
kids duck bee homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:So maybe the message is short:

This is an attempt to solve world problems.   Not with politics, but with each of us doing a small thing that not only makes things better for everybody, but puts more money in your pocket and makes a more luxuriant life for you.  

If you put in a few bucks, you get lots of stuff, and you further a project to REALLY make a positive difference without anger or politics.

Because so many people want to see this sort of approach be a huge success, all levels are loaded with lots of stuff.  But the stretch goals have super loaded the $100 level.

If nothing else, if you are willing to tip your waiter, waitress, barista, pizza delivery, can you tip the hundreds of people that are trying to make global positive change?




??



I like it. Its snappy and to the point.

On the final paragraph I think the “If nothing else” sounds like a weak closing bit. Almost like you throw up your hands and are pleading. You are a big strong man with a bug strong kickstarter. Maybe something like  “for the same amount that it takes to tip your waitress... you can tip the scales to help make global change”
 
Posts: 46
Location: Pinelands of New Jersey
8
dog forest garden trees chicken cooking ungarbage
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

The WHY sounds like it is lost on a group of people. Perhaps doing a big reminder of the why of this kickstarter.



I agree with Bryan. And also redoing the pie chart to incorporate all the stretch goals. Paul loves pie!
I am looking for a way to get more books to give away. I started saving up funds when Paul and Shawn announced in 2018 that this Kickstarter was coming. When it launched I was  able to support at the  $100 level. I was so hoping that would be enough to get some hours of PDC viewing, but $200 is out right now. In the time the Kickstarter has been up, I have saved enough to also support at the $60 level (more books!) Can i support at two different levels?
I am totally grateful and stoked for ALL that I will be getting at the $100 level. I don't want to come off greedy or ungrateful!
I finally posted my spiffy link on FB (been posting the regular Kickstarter link  since the start) and  a local permaculture friend let me know she supported the permaculture playing card Kickstarter, and will support the book as well.
Bryan, thank you for bringing your brain to the table.
And thanks to all the David's! and to Dan and Jack! I am a MSB member and listen to Jack all the time..I think I found Paul from Jack's podcasts.
 
pollinator
Posts: 506
224
hugelkultur monies foraging trees composting toilet cooking bike solar wood heat rocket stoves ungarbage
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:

Where might we begin?   Maybe there are some ideas in this thread that are now worthy of a second look?



I'll keep trying to think of something brilliant, but while I wait for that to happen (or not) I think there is something to be gained by commenting on each others social media posts about it if you are on social media.  Personally I'm only doing FaceBook at this point but I see over and over again that when someone comments on a post of mine, and this is especially clear when it's an older post, I will see more activity on that.  This strongly suggests to me that FaceBook uses this as an indication of interest and will thus send the post out to more news feeds the more comments and activity a post gets.  

The problem here is that I doubt all of us here in this Permies thread are "friends" on facebook or other social media so we don't know where to find each others posts in order to comment.  If you are on Facebook and have a post about the kickstarter please post a link here on this thread.  As long as your post is open for the public so non-friends can see and comment I will try to make one on yours.  Here is mine if you wish to do the same.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218844157913292&set=a.1220243384516&type=3&theater

Some comment ideas, since most of my "friends" don't really know each other or the non-friend followers who comment, you could say such things as, "Yeah, that looks like an awesome book!  I just supported it and can't wait to get (fill in the blank with the book, or other rewards) "  Of course it would be best to say things using whatever words or phrasing you generally would so it doesn't look/sound weird to any of your friends who might see it.
 
David Huang
pollinator
Posts: 506
224
hugelkultur monies foraging trees composting toilet cooking bike solar wood heat rocket stoves ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A couple other ideas, mostly related to social media, I may be fooling myself, but it seems to me that when I do posts with an image they get more attention than ones without, or ones that simply pull up an image from a link.  So if posting about the book you might want to try what I did, which was going to the press kit and grabbing images from there to use with the post.  https://permies.com/w/media

I wish I had thought to do this sooner, but I've also started making additional "posts" in the comments section of my main post about the book when a new stretch goal is reached.  This allows me to "soft sell" the book to those who already expressed and interest by liking or commenting on the original post.  I personally don't feel comfortable constantly making new posts to promote anything.  I don't want to be the pushy salesman.  I suspect others are like this too.  By doing this in the comments I'm merely adding more info to those who are already interested and hopefully boosting the "activity" of the whole post causing it to be sent into the news feed of more people.  

The stretch goal of 200 free books to libraries is an opportunity for us to contact librarians we know, or perhaps even don't' know to let them know about the opportunity.  This can spread the word without feeling like you are trying to "sell" the book.  Here is the page Shawn posted to direct libraries too for info on how they can throw their name in the hat.  I'm trying to get word to someone in the Kent District Library System.  I'd happily just donate copies to them from those I'm getting, but they are a big enough system that they won't actually take donations that way.  This sounds odd, but I think if they do then what happens is that they get tons of people cleaning out their homes who want to donate piles of books that aren't suitable for library use, creating more work and expense for the library system to deal with.  I suspect other larger library systems are like this.  I also suspect that getting books through what Paul and Shawn are doing is something that will work for them.  Anyway, in the process of letting libraries know about this we're also spreading the word about the book to all the individual involved in the process.  It's probably a minor thing, but it might lead to more campaign support.  It's also good for a broad social media post if someone wants to do this without seeming to try "selling" the book.  A post saying "Hey, if anyone knows of a library that might want a free copy of great book please share this with them."  Here's the link to that: https://permies.com/t/110166/Free-copies-Building-World-Backyard?fbclid=IwAR3GjLg-v7IPoELeP5kM3VIHzrLCrW7VeFE1faAUykul36HALVVF84QznVs

As far as other potential audiences goes, I'm actually quite surprised how many supporters my links have brought in.  I guess since I've been posting the same one in multiple communities I'm not fully sure were all the supporters have come from, but based on comments I've gotten I know at least a few are from those in the art world.  That's who comprises the bulk of my FaceBook friends and followers.  So that might be a fruitful community for others to post about the book to.  Artists tend to be interested in a wide range of subjects, and often are also idealistic, hoping to make a better world.
 
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
  I guess I have been a little bummed that everyone I talked with have been  as excited as I was about this book and all the extras (that are awesome) you get with this kickstarter.  I have put links on every facebook site and youtube vid I can think of.  I wanted the kickstarter to do great. but I really wanted to let everyone have a chance to get this book.  Sometimes I think people see "kickstarter" and automatically think someone else just wants their money.  I can understand that, however I feel this is an opportunity to get so much for so little.  
 Then I thought we are almost at 80,000!!!  That is nothing to be upset about.  It is nearly 10 times what the kickstarter was set for.  And this will touch so many people. Not only the ones who support it but all those that we give one to. Not to mention the ones going to libraries. I plan on give a few to libraries around me. I am going to check and see if I can give them ebooks as well as printed books.  I plan to give them to people I know will love permaculture/making a difference, but also to those I know don't really know anything about permaculture.
 I think even if we don't get to 100,000 this book will have a far reaching effect on people and the world for years to come.  It just might take awhile before we can see this.  
Though even right now I can see it's affect in the forums. People want something they can have to help them really make a difference in how they live. I think this book is a great place to start. I am confident that years from now people will still be talking about this book and wanting it.  So YAY Paul and Shawn!!! And all those that have work on this book and to promote it! AWESOMENESS!!!

Add on:   Not that I am giving up. I do really want this to reach as many people as possible,,,,and there are so many more great stretch goals I want!!! lol
 
 
David Huang
pollinator
Posts: 506
224
hugelkultur monies foraging trees composting toilet cooking bike solar wood heat rocket stoves ungarbage
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To build off what Lyda said, not that I'm giving up hope that this kickstarter campaign can reach the audio book stretch goal or beyond, but I think the real goal would be that this campaign is just the very start of this book's life.  I can hope that afterward it will find ever greater audiences, selling a million copies or more, infecting many more lives, and providing Paul and Shawn with a solid relatively passive income stream for years to come.  That will likely require finding more distribution channels and promotional opportunities.  I suspect having it already in print would assist in getting on podcasts and such to promote the book.
 
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It's been a slow day....but things have picked up a little.  Now just $450 $430 $410 $390 from Erica's RMH stretch goal.....come on guys, would be great to hit that today!!!
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just $165 to Erica's stretch goal now!
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And just 31 18 more supporters to reach the 2000 milestone!
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Make that $125 and 30 supporters :)
 
Lyda Eagle
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
David Huang I think that is a great idea about having each other go and make comments on FB .  I did go and like yours, but I could not comment.  I tried to add you as a friend to see if that would work, but it said you just have too many friends.lol  You are a popular dude :-)  
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Now it's just $80....I can't stop looking!
 
David Huang
pollinator
Posts: 506
224
hugelkultur monies foraging trees composting toilet cooking bike solar wood heat rocket stoves ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Lyda Eagle wrote:David Huang I think that is a great idea about having each other go and make comments on FB .  I did go and like yours, but I could not comment.  I tried to add you as a friend to see if that would work, but it said you just have too many friends.lol  You are a popular dude :-)  



Thanks for liking it Lyda.  I must admit to being baffled as to why it wouldn't let you comment.  I get comments from others who aren't "friends".  I do pretty much stay at the friend limit of 5000.  A couple times a week someone drops off and I can add another.  You should also be able to "follow" me without friending, that's what a couple thousand others have done if they actually want to see my normal posts.  That shouldn't be needed to comment though.  Hmm...?  This is the first post I made about the book.  Maybe Facebook will let you comment on that one?  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218672467541140&set=a.1220243384516&type=3&theater  

As for being a popular dude, I'm "famous" in my tiny little corner subset of the art world.  It means nothing outside of that, but I guess it's enough to fill up a FaceBook friend roster.  ;)  
 
Lyda Eagle
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

David Huang wrote:

Lyda Eagle wrote:David Huang I think that is a great idea about having each other go and make comments on FB .  I did go and like yours, but I could not comment.  I tried to add you as a friend to see if that would work, but it said you just have too many friends.lol  You are a popular dude :-)  



Thanks for liking it Lyda.  I must admit to being baffled as to why it wouldn't let you comment.  I get comments from others who aren't "friends".  I do pretty much stay at the friend limit of 5000.  A couple times a week someone drops off and I can add another.  You should also be able to "follow" me without friending, that's what a couple thousand others have done if they actually want to see my normal posts.  That shouldn't be needed to comment though.  Hmm...?  This is the first post I made about the book.  Maybe Facebook will let you comment on that one?  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218672467541140&set=a.1220243384516&type=3&theater  

As for being a popular dude, I'm "famous" in my tiny little corner subset of the art world.  It means nothing outside of that, but I guess it's enough to fill up a FaceBook friend roster.  ;)  



No unfortunately it still wouldn't give me the option of commenting.  It would let me follow and I shared it so maybe that will help. And your artwork is beautiful!!!  I did comment on your blog.
 
Lyda Eagle
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yipee !!!



$80,035





[edited to make the font bigger -pw]
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
WooHoo….now come on Solar Dehydrator Plans...we need those too!
 
David Huang
pollinator
Posts: 506
224
hugelkultur monies foraging trees composting toilet cooking bike solar wood heat rocket stoves ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Lyda Eagle wrote:

David Huang wrote:

Lyda Eagle wrote:David Huang I think that is a great idea about having each other go and make comments on FB .  I did go and like yours, but I could not comment.  I tried to add you as a friend to see if that would work, but it said you just have too many friends.lol  You are a popular dude :-)  



Thanks for liking it Lyda.  I must admit to being baffled as to why it wouldn't let you comment.  I get comments from others who aren't "friends".  I do pretty much stay at the friend limit of 5000.  A couple times a week someone drops off and I can add another.  You should also be able to "follow" me without friending, that's what a couple thousand others have done if they actually want to see my normal posts.  That shouldn't be needed to comment though.  Hmm...?  This is the first post I made about the book.  Maybe Facebook will let you comment on that one?  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218672467541140&set=a.1220243384516&type=3&theater  

As for being a popular dude, I'm "famous" in my tiny little corner subset of the art world.  It means nothing outside of that, but I guess it's enough to fill up a FaceBook friend roster.  ;)  



No unfortunately it still wouldn't give me the option of commenting.  It would let me follow and I shared it so maybe that will help. And your artwork is beautiful!!!  I did comment on your blog.



Hmm... bizarre.  I did check my settings on FaceBook and anyone should be able to comment on either of my posts.  Frustrating as I'm pretty sure those posts only went out to the news feeds of a small fraction of my friends and followers. It would be nice to be able to boost that.  Thanks for trying though.  I did see that you were able to share it, and I suspect that helps a lot too.  I went to your page and was able to comment on your post.  Thanks too for the comment on the blog.  :)  

Yay, that we hit the next stretch goal though!
 
gardener & author
Posts: 2097
Location: Manitoba, Canada
678
cattle hugelkultur monies duck forest garden fish fungi earthworks building rocket stoves homestead
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator



Next up:








Click here to go to the kickstarter!!!
 
Posts: 71
Location: Toronto, Ontario
7
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Rita Bliden wrote:
In the time the Kickstarter has been up, I have saved enough to also support at the $60 level (more books!) Can i support at two different levels?


You can create a second Kickstarter account for a second pledge. I think you might need a second email to keep them separate.
That would give you up to 36 ebooks for $100, and up to 18 more ebooks for the extra $60.
And double the candy.

OR
If you had PayPal or Interac E-transfers, you could pre-sell some of your gift codes for $40 and get the $200 PDC/ATC reward. But then you'd only get max 36 ebooks. And no extra candy.
Just some options :)

Rudy V
 
Rita Bliden
Posts: 46
Location: Pinelands of New Jersey
8
dog forest garden trees chicken cooking ungarbage
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

The problem here is that I doubt all of us here in this Permies thread are "friends" on facebook or other social media so we don't know where to find each others posts in order to comment.  If you are on Facebook and have a post about the kickstarter please post a link here on this thread.  As long as your post is open for the public so non-friends can see and comment I will try to make one on yours.


I like this idea of David's. I found David and Lyda so far on FB. I am having trouble finding the "link" to my FB post about BWB. I am the only Rita Ann Bliden on FB!

“for the same amount that it takes to tip your waitress... you can tip the scales to help make global change”


Bryan, that's a great spin! Love it!
 
Lyda Eagle
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
https://www.facebook.com/lydal1/posts/10214502383382409
I think this is the link to mine.
Thanks David and Rita for commenting on mine.
Hopefully this will help in reaching others.
 
Shawn Klassen-Koop
gardener & author
Posts: 2097
Location: Manitoba, Canada
678
cattle hugelkultur monies duck forest garden fish fungi earthworks building rocket stoves homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator



$81,032



 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 33230
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator



4 days left!



I feel pretty pooped, but ...  i am trying to think of things I can try that might inch us forward to 100k.   Although it seems like if we are going to go past 100k, then now is the time to make that push!   I think i have too many goals swirling around my head.   They all seem possible and impossible at the same time.  

My all time best ever kickstarter brought in $105k (with over 2000 backers).  Can I do better?   And then i think about all the extra things we have thought of this time that we didn't do the last time.  And then maybe people are far more interested in rocket mass heater dvds than "some book."



---


forward, forward, forward.   what can i do ...  

I see two big things:


thing 1 ....  get more backers


thing 2 ....  entice current backers to raise their backer levels



T1.1  i will send out one more monthly-ish.   need to nail down what i will say

T1.2  i have over 100 people that I have sent kickback codes because they have access to regional mailing lists, facebook groups, etc.   i should share my message with them

T1.3  ??


T2.1  today i will post an update to the current backers and tell them about reaching a new stretch goal.   need to work on that wording.



oops ... that's right ... i have a meeting with shawn in a little bit and i need to get sepp holzer's video uploaded!  

 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Now just 12 11 backers away from the 2000 supporter milestone!
 
Shawn Klassen-Koop
gardener & author
Posts: 2097
Location: Manitoba, Canada
678
cattle hugelkultur monies duck forest garden fish fungi earthworks building rocket stoves homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The last couple of days slowed down quite a bit.

But it is now just before 9 AM my time. And it looks like we are already almost tied with the amount we raised all day yesterday.

I hope that this is the start of a mounting swell that leads us to audiobook victory!
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 33230
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

On the final paragraph I think the “If nothing else” sounds like a weak closing bit.



point taken.

here is the new message:

This is an attempt to solve world problems.   Not with politics, but with thousands (millions?) of people doing small things that not only makes things better for everybody, but puts more money in their pockets and makes a more luxuriant life for them.   And for you.

If you put in a few bucks, you get lots of stuff, AND you further a project to REALLY make a positive difference without anger or politics.

Because so many people want to see this sort of approach be a huge success, all backer levels are loaded with lots of stuff.  But the stretch goals have super loaded the $100 level.

If you are willing to tip your waiter, waitress, barista, pizza delivery, can you tip the hundreds of people that are trying to make global positive change?  



Maybe add "armed with a stack of these books, you could meet gift giving obligations as well as introduce change within your own sphere of influence.  And maybe when you visit with these same people, you will seem a bit less crazy and bit more brilliant?"

??
 
master steward
Posts: 9355
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
2706
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Someone who's very insightful a few days ago mentioned that new people may not back the project since it's already funded.  I think that's a very good point.  The rewards may be worth their money but if they don't really think they need them (or realize they can give them away) they figure you have funded the project and the world will become a better place anyway.

Helping them understand how many more books it will get out there and how their contribution will help others and not just line their pockets with goodies could make a difference.  Not sure how to do that...
 
Posts: 133
14
homeschooling kids homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To Mike Jay's point, with so much success under your belt (and probably only a little fear that you wouldn't hit the initial funding goals) why set them so low?

Getting 800% funded sounds really good I guess but I think it would have more traction at this stage if it was just 200% or perhaps even just 110% funded.  Adjusting the risk of not getting funded may create more urgency and therefore more support (for future KS attempts.

Also, while the spiffy link system is working as is, having a webform/email list opt in my help you Paul, or even perhaps creating redirects you can track directly i.e.  you create spiffy link, give them a permies affiliate link that redirects to the KS spiffy link and therefore all the dashboard/tracking/management you want is already in house and can be leveraged to your (and spiffy link sharer's) advantage.
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The countdown to 2000 supporters has entered the number of fingers most of us have phase....10
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2068
Location: Maine, zone 5
916
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
9 (the number of fingers most people will have if they're not careful while earning their PEP woodworking badge....be safe!!!)
 
Lyda Eagle
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow,
I hadn't looked at the count in a few hours.   $81,342  and 1991  supporters.  Way to go!!
I think if we keep pushing and putting it out there we can make it.
I am thrilled at where it is but, I want more, more, more..... :-)
YAY PERMIES!!!

now $81,502  1992
 
Bryan Gold
Posts: 98
Location: Frederick, MD zone7b
28
kids duck bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:

On the final paragraph I think the “If nothing else” sounds like a weak closing bit.



point taken.

here is the new message:

This is an attempt to solve world problems.   Not with politics, but with thousands (millions?) of people doing small things that not only makes things better for everybody, but puts more money in their pockets and makes a more luxuriant life for them.   And for you.

If you put in a few bucks, you get lots of stuff, AND you further a project to REALLY make a positive difference without anger or politics.

Because so many people want to see this sort of approach be a huge success, all backer levels are loaded with lots of stuff.  But the stretch goals have super loaded the $100 level.

If you are willing to tip your waiter, waitress, barista, pizza delivery, can you tip the hundreds of people that are trying to make global positive change?  



Maybe add "armed with a stack of these books, you could meet gift giving obligations as well as introduce change within your own sphere of influence.  And maybe when you visit with these same people, you will seem a bit less crazy and bit more brilliant?"

??



I like the “armed with a stack... “as the closing statement. I think it should replace the tipping paragraph entirely and close the statement.
 
Lyda Eagle
pollinator
Posts: 142
44
books food preservation fiber arts
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If everyone put in $10...just 10 more dollars we would be over 100,000!!!  actually it is  9.27.  
That's all
I know not everyone will, but it would still be a big jump if most could.
And those at the $80 level would get so much more ...way more than $20 worth of great products.
heck even those at $60 would be getting so much for $40.
I'm not trying to guilt anyone, I just think it is such a deal.
the $100 level just has so much with it. It is more than worth going to that level.
And you will have plenty of books to give out and infect more minds with awesomeness :-)
You could build solar dehydrators or make a permaculture garden and sale those for a profit,
hmmmmm ...maybe I will do that
I would like to see if I can make a small version, one I could pick up and move around.
So many ideas to do.  
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 33230
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bryan C Aldeghi wrote:I like the “armed with a stack... “as the closing statement. I think it should replace the tipping paragraph entirely and close the statement.



Shawn and I spent over an hour polishing this message.  Here is where we ended up:

Only 3 days left for REAL change with less effort and less money ...
…. instead of playing on a rigged political playing field.

This project solves world problems by teaching thousands of people how to take small steps that build a better world. Steps that also put more money in their pockets and make a more luxuriant life for them.   And for you.

If you put in a few bucks, you get lots of stuff, AND you further a project to REALLY make a positive difference without being angry at bad guys.

Because so many people want to see this sort of approach be a huge success, all backer levels are loaded with lots of stuff.  But the stretch goals have super loaded the $100 level.

As part of doing this project, we have learned that audiobooks have a far larger audience than we ever thought!  But we have also learned that making audiobooks is expensive. So we are trying to get to the point where we can create an audiobook and we are coming up short. And we only have 3 days left.

If you have enjoyed the forums, podcasts, videos, emails, articles, presentations, and all the help we have given to thousands of people …  imagine we have done a bit of a street performance and there is our hat.   Only... if you throw in even a single dollar, you will magically get a collection of movies, books, and other fun things - including several to take home and share with others.  I like to think that this is the most you will ever get for a single dollar.  And it simultaneously fuels our greater effort.

Ladies and gentlemen …  the book, the presentation, the gifts, the challenges, the whole show … and the hat ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/better-world-book?ref=3tvktb



I think I'm a pretty good writer.  And I think that when shawn and i write something together, it is three times better.

The plan is to send this out on the monthlyish starting at 2pm.
 
paul wheaton
steward
Posts: 33230
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My best ever kickstarter was for "better wood heat".  2022 backers and $105,107.

It is possible that today we will break the 2000 backers line.  

 
Bryan Gold
Posts: 98
Location: Frederick, MD zone7b
28
kids duck bee homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:

Bryan C Aldeghi wrote:I like the “armed with a stack... “as the closing statement. I think it should replace the tipping paragraph entirely and close the statement.



Shawn and I spent over an hour polishing this message.  Here is where we ended up:

Only 3 days left for REAL change with less effort and less money ...
…. instead of playing on a rigged political playing field.

This project solves world problems by teaching thousands of people how to take small steps that build a better world. Steps that also put more money in their pockets and make a more luxuriant life for them.   And for you.

If you put in a few bucks, you get lots of stuff, AND you further a project to REALLY make a positive difference without being angry at bad guys.

Because so many people want to see this sort of approach be a huge success, all backer levels are loaded with lots of stuff.  But the stretch goals have super loaded the $100 level.

As part of doing this project, we have learned that audiobooks have a far larger audience than we ever thought!  But we have also learned that making audiobooks is expensive. So we are trying to get to the point where we can create an audiobook and we are coming up short. And we only have 3 days left.

If you have enjoyed the forums, podcasts, videos, emails, articles, presentations, and all the help we have given to thousands of people …  imagine we have done a bit of a street performance and there is our hat.   Only... if you throw in even a single dollar, you will magically get a collection of movies, books, and other fun things - including several to take home and share with others.  I like to think that this is the most you will ever get for a single dollar.  And it simultaneously fuels our greater effort.

Ladies and gentlemen …  the book, the presentation, the gifts, the challenges, the whole show … and the hat ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulwheaton/better-world-book?ref=3tvktb



I think I'm a pretty good writer.  And I think that when shawn and i write something together, it is three times better.

The plan is to send this out on the monthlyish starting at 2pm.



Love it. Rock on
 
gardener
Posts: 900
Location: PNW
497
trees books food preservation cooking writing homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul, sorry for brevity and typos but on phone while traveling...suggest to Waive gapper fees for anyone supporting at $200 level and up? No expiration date on use.  
 
Shawn Klassen-Koop
gardener & author
Posts: 2097
Location: Manitoba, Canada
678
cattle hugelkultur monies duck forest garden fish fungi earthworks building rocket stoves homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sonja, the 90k stretch goal is currently set up to be to waive the gapper fee for anyone supporting at $100 and up.

Are you suggesting we change $100 to $200? If so I think I don't want to take that route. I think that once a stretch goal is posted publicly, the only reason we should change it is if we somehow make it even more awesome.
 
Shawn Klassen-Koop
gardener & author
Posts: 2097
Location: Manitoba, Canada
678
cattle hugelkultur monies duck forest garden fish fungi earthworks building rocket stoves homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

$82,228!



 
Tongue wrestling. It's not what you think. And here, take this tiny ad. You'll need it.
Rocket Mass Heater Plans - now free for a while
https://permies.com/goodies/7/rmhplans
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic