I'm a day late!
April 6 - 12:
The weather was perfect for working outside. I'd like to say how much gardening I got done, but I'd have to grossly exaggerate to make it sound like much happened. More seeds were sown, some beds got weeded, we brought up 2 loads of wood chips from the woods, and some of the compost from the barn.
I finished sewing my short stays! It's extremely comfortable, like the sweatpant version of bust support. The lacing caused some issues; the cotton yarn I tried wasn't strong enough and promptly snapped, the silk yarn was strong enough but very slippery. After some research today I discovered that the hemp cord I have in my kids crafting stuff is a good option. Pictures are with it laced with silk yarn and a cotton yarn drawstring.
Oh! Another issue with it is that the top edge causes a pronounced lumpy line under regular shirts. Apparently this is a common issue for all stays and demi- or overbust corsets with the short stays being particularly troublesome due to a lack of a busk (wood or metal piece that holds the center front flat against the sternum).
Obviously my next sewing project is to make this Regency dress pattern
but tunic length and wear it over my new short stays. There are 4 yards of white cotton crinkle gauze sitting in my fabric stash that I'll use for it.
I didn't knit a stitch this week. Oops!
On a sad note, a coyote pack came through and killed 4 geese, a duck hen, and the rooster from my breeding pen. I guess I'm officially done with the breeding for this year because that was my only rooster carrying a mottled gene. The geese and surviving duck hen are now getting locked into the chicken coop at night. The chickens are not impressed.
My hatch last week was 5 out of 6 chicks, up to 71 chicks. There's one more hatch left and then I'm leaving the rest to broody hens.
Now let me spam you with (out of order) pictures!