First olla test today. Bought 2 6in terracotta pots. Then got some clay from the berm shed, powdered it, wet it until it could be molded, and plugged up the bottom and around the rims. I'm letting it dry in the library until the clay is solid. Still need to dig a hole where I want it.
Also have a picture of the wood rack Dez and I built full of wood. Looking good.
This morning was cleaning day, cleaning up Cooper Cabin. Then built a shelf for the kitchen. The design for the shelf was Matt's idea and it looked like a good solution to me. While drilling through the shelf the knots in the board made a funny face.
Got to testing my cheap olla, it dried too much and was cracking so I reclayed it to give it a fair shake. Fixed it twice again and still the water pressure from the upper pot pushed through the clay along the rim. But the bottom held no matter what. So I'm going g to keep them separate and have two small plugged pots. I have them buried above some of my seeded beds so I'll see if the ground stays damp around them.
Last thing today, made tomato soup and quiche with Matt's help. Had to juggle multiple pans on two stoves to get everything to cook together but we got it done.
Hi Kyle. In my garden I have two (real) ollas. So I can tell you: they don't hold water very long. Have to refill about every second day when the weather is dry. In my opinion they are not of much help; instead of refilling ollas one can water the soil around the plants just as easy.
"Also, just as you want men to do to you, do the same way to them" (Luke 6:31)
Hi Inge. I'm trying these out to see if they could be an option when our other watering methods are not available. Some times the fire truck is broken or the well low on water. I hoping these can provide the hugels enough water while not having a lot evaporate.
Put the moon back where you found it! We need it for tides and poetry and stuff. Like this tiny ad: