• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Nicole Alderman
stewards:
  • Mike Haasl
  • r ranson
  • paul wheaton
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • John F Dean
  • Rob Lineberger
  • Carla Burke
  • Jay Angler
gardeners:
  • Greg Martin
  • Ash Jackson
  • Jordan Holland

Sergei do you recognize this berry plant?

 
Posts: 56
Location: Meade County, South Dakota
hugelkultur trees greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Sergei! We have a lot of these plants growing out here, mostly along a creek. Here are some pictures that I took of them today:
081105_1502-00-.jpg
[Thumbnail for 081105_1502-00-.jpg]
General view of the plant
081105_1504-00-.jpg
[Thumbnail for 081105_1504-00-.jpg]
Close-up of berries and flowers
 
pollinator
Posts: 115
37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Wyatt Brush wrote:Hi Sergei! We have a lot of these plants growing out here, mostly along a creek. Here are some pictures that I took of them today:



Dear Wyatt,

The picture is a little blurry and I don't feel comfortable identifying the berries under these conditions. Can you repost a better pic?

 
Wyatt Brush
Posts: 56
Location: Meade County, South Dakota
hugelkultur trees greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Sergei Boutenko wrote:

Wyatt Brush wrote:Hi Sergei! We have a lot of these plants growing out here, mostly along a creek. Here are some pictures that I took of them today:



Dear Wyatt,

The picture is a little blurry and I don't feel comfortable identifying the berries under these conditions. Can you repost a better pic?


Thank you for your reply! I can try to get a better picture. What details do you most need to see to identify this plant? I am 90% sure that these berries turn blue when ripe. They look similar to some blueberry relatives that are pictured on Wikipedia, but the flowers of these are split into petals, whereas the blueberry relatives have more of a bell shaped flower. I am skeptical of these being a blueberry relative, because the soil here varies from a ph of 6.5 - 8.0.

On a separate thought, do you know of anything good to do with Manroot gourd plants? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marah_(plant)
 
Sergei Boutenko
pollinator
Posts: 115
37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maybe some more pictures of the leaves. The berries do look like they resemble blue berry relatives, however, I am thrown by the leaves.
 
Wyatt Brush
Posts: 56
Location: Meade County, South Dakota
hugelkultur trees greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Sergei Boutenko wrote:Maybe some more pictures of the leaves. The berries do look like they resemble blue berry relatives, however, I am thrown by the leaves.


Okay, here is another picture. I held a leaf up straight, so that you can get a better look at it. The picture also has a clearer view of the flowers. As you can see, these plants are putting on a lot of berries, considering the size of the plants. The berries are about the size of a small pea.
081905_1307-00-.jpg
[Thumbnail for 081905_1307-00-.jpg]
Extended leaf
 
Die Fledermaus does not fear such a tiny ad:
Greenhouse of the Future ebook - now free for a while
https://permies.com/goodies/greenhouse
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic