Doing my best impression of Mike TV up on the Lab,
"I said am I coming through over there!"
Internet is poor up here but I didn't want to miss a day to post. And I wanted to get stuff done up here without having to go back down to the wifi.
So I've got my previously finished oak bow and I've finally got enough room to practice further than 10ft without worrying about a neighbor's house. Longest shot was 129 paces. Not that my aim is very good, need some instruction and practice to help there. So I'm setup here with my target.
Laundry was today but it's pretty cool outside so instead of air drying I'm toasting everything by the Tipi barrell. And running the heater while I make some rice.
Rice flavored with ghee, parsley, thyme, cayenne, salt, and orange peel from an orange I ate. Smells really good.
And after watching a boyer making a cedar bow on YouTube, I think can still shave more off the bow stave safely. So I'm sitting on one side to clamp it down and working on the other limb.
Worked on the Love Shack, putting up the inside paneling with Daniel all day. We had fun trying to get the battery powered compressor to last, only lasted to about 10:30. So we switched to the outside trim while the battery charged.
The live edge trim looks great! And with the extra overhang the roof provides it should last a long time.
Found that a lot of air pressure was seeping out of the air hose fittings, so I switched to a new hose and put silicon thread tape around the male connections. After lunch the battery lasted up to 5:00. The old hose needs new crimped on swivel fittings.
Oh are during lunch I shared some tuna/sardine salad with Dez and he gave it quite a few compliments, so raspberries to those sardine haters who I know are reading.
When we reached the top row of paneling we had to whittle a skinny piece of trim to fit. Good thing they sent Dan and I today. Both of us are knife sharpening enthusiasts and had no trouble making wood shavings until everything fit.
The shorter walls were easier. They only needed one piece for each row, so Dan took over and I framed out the inside of the windows. The amount of work it looks like Dan got done compared to the eight sticks I got nailed in is a little annoying. The widths, depths, lengths, and position of each piece was different to get them flush to the paneling and square with the windows.
But now the paneling can be laid right up to the edge then trim over top.
I'd say more than half the paneling is done and the tedious parts are over.
As I'm writing I'm ruining my appetite by eating chocolate from a care package for the boots. So I've got to stop and get dinner and wash up. See ya tomorrow.
Back to the Abbey today to work on the fence gates. Daniel and I had started one but hadn't gotten far. We had the bottom and left part of the frame together and one hinge on the fence post.
Working with Erica today, we got the frame together and hanging. Still needs a latch and to fill the frame out with sticks. I didn't get a picture of the gate once it was hanging but I'll get one later.
I think it looks good and should last for a good while.We thought it should be kept light so it doesn't sag too much.
Later we stayed at base camp and worked on the logs going between the gate posts. Those logs are getting two sides flattened and routered with where the gate leads to, Cooper Cabin, Ant Village, and Tipi.
I cut the sides down while Erica charred the sides and routered the sign. I still need to sand down one side and char both sides. Then cut in the letters. Pretty close to finishing them.