• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • Nancy Reading
  • r ranson
  • Jay Angler
  • Pearl Sutton
stewards:
  • Leigh Tate
  • paul wheaton
  • Nicole Alderman
master gardeners:
  • Timothy Norton
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • Saana Jalimauchi
  • Jeremy VanGelder
  • Ulla Bisgaard

Goats for Morons

 
                
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do they like pine?
 
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My goats love pine. The like to eat all types of fir needles as well.
 
pollinator
Posts: 4328
Location: Anjou ,France
256
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Drat I was hoping to do a swap
Your goats for our politicans. Although why you would want one is byond me

David
 
                
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jonathan Burger wrote:My goats love pine. The like to eat all types of fir needles as well.



Good to know. And I guess they're alright with it.
 
Posts: 65
Location: OR - Willamette Valley
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pine needles can cause abortions in cattle. Goats seem to be surprisingly tolerant of toxins (my one azalea is dead and my goats aren't), but that might be something to consider if your goats are or will be bred.
 
Posts: 45
Location: Southern Ohio (zone 6a)
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

A Philipsen wrote:Pine needles can cause abortions in cattle. Goats seem to be surprisingly tolerant of toxins (my one azalea is dead and my goats aren't), but that might be something to consider if your goats are or will be bred.



This winter I cut down pine trees (have way too many of them) as a supplement to the goats hay. They chomped through them happily all winter and all 5 bore healthy babies in the spring. So I'd guess its not a problem. What they really love is cedar trees (which are also a natural dewormer), they ate every needle off the cedar I cut down before they would touch the pine needles.
 
Posts: 57
Location: Eastern edge of the Blue Ridge Mnts. Virginia
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Philip Green wrote:

A Philipsen wrote:Pine needles can cause abortions in cattle. Goats seem to be surprisingly tolerant of toxins (my one azalea is dead and my goats aren't), but that might be something to consider if your goats are or will be bred.



This winter I cut down pine trees (have way too many of them) as a supplement to the goats hay. They chomped through them happily all winter and all 5 bore healthy babies in the spring. So I'd guess its not a problem. What they really love is cedar trees (which are also a natural dewormer), they ate every needle off the cedar I cut down before they would touch the pine needles.



At some point you can compare Cows, sheep and goats, but the one big difference is goats are browsers and cows and sheep are grazers. Eating pine bark and needles is a normal feast for goats, where it isn't for sheep and cows. Though when we had Jacob sheep they could kill off a stand of pine trees rather quickly, sheep and cows normally eat from the ground up to about 6 inches and goats like to eat from about 6 inches above the ground to as high as they can reach.
 
Posts: 95
Location: NW Montana
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My goats also eat pine and fir, but they seem to prefer larch.
 
Bras cause cancer. And tiny ads:
We need your help - Permies server fundraiser
https://permies.com/wiki/260600/Permies-server-fundraiser
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic