• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Mike Haasl
  • Pearl Sutton
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Burra Maluca
  • Joseph Lofthouse
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • Leigh Tate
  • Carla Burke
gardeners:
  • Greg Martin
  • Jay Angler
  • John F Dean

Embarrassing moments...please share yours

 
Posts: 93
19
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
For the easily-offended, the first part of this post may not be your cup of tea, absolutely no offense meant.

1) Figured this one was a "problem", so I deleted it.

2) I'm sure I ain't alone and this is pretty common: I went into a public restroom, only to find out I was in the wrong one. Embarrassing, yes, but I laughed my butt off immediately, while making my exit. The funniest part wasn't when I figured it out; it was in the "discovering" part. I was looking at the "fixtures" and wondering why this "ladies" room was so different lol!

3) I was shadowing a coworker, "Broom Hilda", and part of the job was taking clients to and from destinations in the company minivan. I was in the passenger seat and we had one client in the back seat. We stopped at a light and suddenly, Hilda started screaming louder than loud. It took a few seconds to understand why. She was currently looking at a spider and screaming bloody murder. I was unable to see the vicious creature from where I was sitting, but from her reaction I figured I wanted nothing to do with that thing.

It was a vehicle unfamiliar to me, but I didn't want to turn away from the threat to find the door handle, so I was frantically feeling around for it in an attempt to get out of the vehicle and escape. The client's face was a mixture of shock and confusion as Hilda continued to completely freak out.

I gave up trying to find the door handle and instead took to trying to find something...anything...to dispatch the horrifying threat. First it was Hilda's purse, but it was too huge. The thought briefly crossed my mind to use my much smaller, compact purse, but that wasn't gonna happen. Then I spotted a napkin. I couldn't even see the spider, and Hilda was clouding my mind with her incessant, 4000 decible screaming, so...wait for it...I handed the napkin to the client!!! LOL!!

The client looked at me, bewildered, and then reached over and killed the spider. I breathlessly asked her if she was sure it was dead. All she could do was nod her head yes. I asked her how big it had been and she said smaller than a dime ROFL!!! Are you kidding me??? With all the screaming histeria, I figured we were dealing with a hairy tarantula weighing in at at least five pounds!!

I was worthless the rest of the day because all I could do was laugh. A week or so later, I had the class do this same exercise as this thread. I saw the client look at me and I laughed and, not to single her out, told the whole class that I was fair game, if an embarrassing moment included me.

Hilarious!

I'll add more as I remember them.

What are your embarrassing moments?
Staff note :

Do not forget, this site is indexed by Google and other search engines, sometimes people also post things on Facebook etc. Do not post anything you do not want possibly getting spread around.

 
pioneer
Posts: 112
Location: NW Arkansas
22
goat fish hunting chicken pig homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'll reveal the embarrassing moments that don't reveal too much :)
Making Chief Petty Officer(CPO's) in the Navy is a big deal. So big in fact, one must be initiated into the ranks to gain the respect of your fellow CPO's; Chief (E7 CPO), Senior Chief (E8 SCPO) and Master Chief (E9 MCPO). One can decide to NOT go through the initiation, but they eat at the kids table. Understandably, a Master Chief has been in the service for a long time. We always called them the advisors to God himself. They know everyone. They are to be feared and admired.
I was going through the initiation and one of the things we had to do was to entertain the 'Genuine' Chiefs. We'd serve doughnuts and coffee. There would be singing and games like "Cock the Cannon" and "Musical Chairs". I won't go into those games, but suffice it to say you probably wouldn't want to play.
I was being transferred to a shore unit, but had made CPO on the sea command. I was going to do initiation night with the afloat guys, but do my "training" with the shore command. So, we serve the doughnuts and coffee, and sing a few songs. This grizzled, gray headed old Master Chief had been sitting there not saying a word but had his eyes locked on me for some reason. I was the biggest man in the room so I figured he was gonna use his rank to play some Napoleon man-envy thing on me.
Finally, he said, "Dotson." The room went silent, the Master Chief was speaking.
"Yes, Genuine Master Chief?", came the correct way of addressing him.
"Do you know Petty Officer Whatshisname?" This was a shipmate from the afloat command that was also making CPO. Apparently, the MCPO knew or had worked with my shipmate.
"Yes, Genuine Master Chief."
"Next time you see him tell him I said hello."
"Yes, Genuine Master Chief."
There was a notable pause before he asked, "Do you know who I am?"
"No, Genuine Master Chief."
His face turned dark as he scowled at me. With practiced measured menace in his voice he asked, "Then who in the hell are you going to tell Whatshisname said to say hello?"
Before I could react I had already said, "I'm gonna tell him some crusty, old, effing Master Chief said to say hello."
I must have turned 30 shades of red. I wanted to walk out so bad but I had to face him. The entire place erupted with laughter, all except for me and him. I though my goose was cooked. With a word this man could have my advancement to CPO stopped in it's tracks. I braced myself for the worst, but I wasn't gonna let him see that.
He smiled finally and told me his name. I forgot Whatshisname's name. I've forgotten my wife's name on occasion (I'm old, give me a break), but I will never forget Master Chief Petty Officer White's name.
 
M James
Posts: 93
19
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michael Dotson wrote:I'll reveal the embarrassing moments that don't reveal too much :)
Making Chief Petty Officer(CPO's) in the Navy is a big deal. So big in fact, one must be initiated into the ranks to gain the respect of your fellow CPO's; Chief (E7 CPO), Senior Chief (E8 SCPO) and Master Chief (E9 MCPO). One can decide to NOT go through the initiation, but they eat at the kids table. Understandably, a Master Chief has been in the service for a long time. We always called them the advisors to God himself. They know everyone. They are to be feared and admired.
I was going through the initiation and one of the things we had to do was to entertain the 'Genuine' Chiefs. We'd serve doughnuts and coffee. There would be singing and games like "Cock the Cannon" and "Musical Chairs". I won't go into those games, but suffice it to say you probably wouldn't want to play.
I was being transferred to a shore unit, but had made CPO on the sea command. I was going to do initiation night with the afloat guys, but do my "training" with the shore command. So, we serve the doughnuts and coffee, and sing a few songs. This grizzled, gray headed old Master Chief had been sitting there not saying a word but had his eyes locked on me for some reason. I was the biggest man in the room so I figured he was gonna use his rank to play some Napoleon man-envy thing on me.
Finally, he said, "Dotson." The room went silent, the Master Chief was speaking.
"Yes, Genuine Master Chief?", came the correct way of addressing him.
"Do you know Petty Officer Whatshisname?" This was a shipmate from the afloat command that was also making CPO. Apparently, the MCPO knew or had worked with my shipmate.
"Yes, Genuine Master Chief."
"Next time you see him tell him I said hello."
"Yes, Genuine Master Chief."
There was a notable pause before he asked, "Do you know who I am?"
"No, Genuine Master Chief."
His face turned dark as he scowled at me. With practiced measured menace in his voice he asked, "Then who in the hell are you going to tell Whatshisname said to say hello?"
Before I could react I had already said, "I'm gonna tell him some crusty, old, effing Master Chief said to say hello."
I must have turned 30 shades of red. I wanted to walk out so bad but I had to face him. The entire place erupted with laughter, all except for me and him. I though my goose was cooked. With a word this man could have my advancement to CPO stopped in it's tracks. I braced myself for the worst, but I wasn't gonna let him see that.
He smiled finally and told me his name. I forgot Whatshisname's name. I've forgotten my wife's name on occasion (I'm old, give me a break), but I will never forget Master Chief Petty Officer White's name.



I can't stop laughing!! You said what?? Omg, that was awesome!
 
M James
Posts: 93
19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I see a "staff note" that says google indexes these posts and not to post anything I wouldn't want to be spread around.

I haven't posted any real names, locations or dates, nor do I ever. If I cared about people possibly being able to identify myself or others, I wouldn't have posted it. There is nothing criminal that I or anybody else has done in any of the incidents, nor was there any intentional disrespect, etc. My whole post was meant to poke fun at my own experiences. I find it funny. There is a disclaimer at the top of my original post saying that the first incident may not be for everybody and that there is absolutely no disrespect intended.

I'm confused as to what the staff member was even referring to. If I am wrong, and the staff note was meant for another person, please disregard this post.
 
pioneer
Posts: 76
Location: SF Bay, California Zone 10b
24
forest garden fungi foraging cooking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Good stories, M! I think the staff note is just a general warning. There are many websites on the internet that scour forums like this for various entertaining stories, then post them on their own site.

I don't think there's any harm in the stories you've told, but it's good to be aware of how it might get distributed. That disclaimer is also a good note for anyone else who wants to add to this thread.
 
Michael Dotson
pioneer
Posts: 112
Location: NW Arkansas
22
goat fish hunting chicken pig homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

M James wrote:
I can't stop laughing!! You said what?? Omg, that was awesome!


That was a moment, lemme tell you! We attended a Christmas party and he had a good laugh about it.
 
M James
Posts: 93
19
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michael Dotson wrote:

M James wrote:
I can't stop laughing!! You said what?? Omg, that was awesome!


That was a moment, lemme tell you! We attended a Christmas party and he had a good laugh about it.



Something tells me he won't ever forget your name either! Seems as though he has a good sense of humor, good on him.

Glad it all worked out for you. Your post certainly helped make my day!
 
M James
Posts: 93
19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Malek Ascha wrote:Good stories, M! I think the staff note is just a general warning. There are many websites on the internet that scour forums like this for various entertaining stories, then post them on their own site.

I don't think there's any harm in the stories you've told, but it's good to be aware of how it might get distributed. That disclaimer is also a good note for anyone else who wants to add to this thread.



K, that makes sense. Thanks!
 
steward & bricolagier
Posts: 7508
Location: SW Missouri
3524
goat cat fungi books chicken earthworks food preservation cooking building homestead ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Malek Ascha wrote:Good stories, M! I think the staff note is just a general warning. There are many websites on the internet that scour forums like this for various entertaining stories, then post them on their own site.

I don't think there's any harm in the stories you've told, but it's good to be aware of how it might get distributed. That disclaimer is also a good note for anyone else who wants to add to this thread.



Yeah, I think it was meant as a general comment to anyone who is about to post, the comments like that end up on the bottom of the first post, just how the Permies software works.
I agree with it, I'd hate to see something that someone meant only for their permie friends get spread all over, and possibly cause problems for anyone. It's hard sometimes to remember that this is a publicly viewable forum.

 
We should throw him a surprise party. It will cheer him up. We can use this tiny ad:
Sepp Holzer's 3-in-1 Permaculture documentaries (Farming, Terraces, and Aquaculture) streaming video
https://permies.com/wiki/141614/videos/Sepp-Holzer-Permaculture-documentaries-Farming
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic