• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Nicole Alderman
stewards:
  • Mike Haasl
  • r ranson
  • paul wheaton
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • John F Dean
  • Rob Lineberger
  • Carla Burke
  • Jay Angler
gardeners:
  • Greg Martin
  • Ash Jackson
  • Jordan Holland

ISO Young Trees

 
Posts: 7
Location: WNC 7b
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Who has fruit tree stock for sale? We're looking for native Persimmon and PawPaw seedlings, cuttings, or starts that can be shipped or picked up locally here in Western North Carolina. Thanks for any tips and suggestions
 
pollinator
Posts: 328
Location: the mountains of western nc
80
forest garden trees foraging chicken food preservation cooking wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
what kind of timeline are you trying to be on? i have a bunch of one-year-old pawpaw seedlings but i’ll need to dig them (and it would be better to wait until the tops are dormant). i can probably guide you towards where to find lots of persimmon seeds to stratify so you can have seedlings next year, too...
i’m in marshall.
 
Posts: 492
Location: Richwood, West Virginia
6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Peaceful Heritage in Stanford, Kentucky has grafted pawpaws but they're a little pricey I guess.
 
Kevin Goss
Posts: 7
Location: WNC 7b
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

greg mosser wrote:what kind of timeline are you trying to be on? i have a bunch of one-year-old pawpaw seedlings but i’ll need to dig them (and it would be better to wait until the tops are dormant). i can probably guide you towards where to find lots of persimmon seeds to stratify so you can have seedlings next year, too...
i’m in marshall.



Hi Greg, thanks for the quick reply. We'd be looking to plant a few in early spring and maybe again in the fall of next year so the bigger the plant the better, we're near Rutherfordton :-)
 
Kevin Goss
Posts: 7
Location: WNC 7b
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Burl Smith wrote:Peaceful Heritage in Stanford, Kentucky has grafted pawpaws but they're a little pricey I guess.


Thanks Burl, we saw the Peaceful Heritage sight while looking for the 'Sunflower' type pawpaw, not only are they pricey but they are sold out!
 
pollinator
Posts: 754
Location: Porter, Indiana
75
trees
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
For pawpaws and persimmons, the state nurseries are usually going to be the best option. For example, Kentucky's state nursery sells seedling pawpaws and persimmons for about  about a dollar a tree (https://eec.ky.gov/Natural-Resources/Forestry/state-nuseries-and-tree-seedlings/Pages/default.aspx).
 
Posts: 78
Location: 6.b.
17
forest garden chicken cooking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'd really like to try asian pears as they apparently do well in MD vs the myriad of fungus/blight issues (at least, so I've heard).
 
pollinator
Posts: 2132
Location: 4b
508
dog forest garden trees bee building
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The North Carolina Forest Service sells 100 persimmon trees for $60.  I don't think you will beat that price.  NC Forest Service trees

They are currently sold out, but that has been my experience buying trees from state conservation services.  You need to order first thing in the spring.  I've had very good luck with the trees I have purchased through these programs and have planted hundreds.
 
John Wolfram
pollinator
Posts: 754
Location: Porter, Indiana
75
trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Trace Oswald wrote:The North Carolina Forest Service sells 100 persimmon trees for $60.  I don't think you will beat that price.  NC Forest Service trees
They are currently sold out, but that has been my experience buying trees from state conservation services.  You need to order first thing in the spring.  I've had very good luck with the trees I have purchased through these programs and have planted hundreds.


At least for Indiana's state nursery, things start selling out within a few days of them accepting orders. Spring 2021 orders started being accepted two weeks ago (October 1) and they are already out of Pecans, Plums, and Elderberry. On October 1st, I got busy signals for the first three hours when I was trying to phone in my order.
gift
 
Diego Footer on Permaculture Based Homesteads - from the Eat Your Dirt Summit
will be released to subscribers in: soon!
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic