Freedom of food choice is so obvious and so fundamental that is is not even legalized!
If you have noticed, certain freedoms such as religion or sexual orientation needed to be defended and stated by law. If we do not care, we might one day need to defend freedom of food choice. It might be even needed to state and claim that it is fundamental and impossible to alienate.
Nevertheless, this freedom is challenged don't you think so?
Just talking about the theme of this week shows it is challenged in at least 2 ways.
- First, I need to eat meat as there is little else I can really eat to thrive (well yes, fish and eggs as well!). I have nothing against people's choices who want to eat only plants or only whatever they want, but it seems that we hear more and more about some of them wanting to impose their ways of eating. On the contrary, it can be difficult for some plant-based dieters to be respected totally in some cases. Bashing and bullying can go both ways.
- Second, ethical. Are we so free to eat only ethical? I don't think so, because business competition makes it difficult to produce only ethical food, and this ethic is not guaranteed by law, and might be one of the roots of the 1st issue... A lot of people will answer about pasture raised animal meat "I cannot afford it". Sometimes also, we just want money for something else, and it is well known that the budget for food decreases, because we are consummers.
- Third, processed Vs whole food. Not everybody has access to non industrial food.
So here is a page where you will learn about some trials and some events that challenge freedom of food choice:
- Vegan firefighter go to court because he could not eat while working.
- Vegan used "freedom of religion" and made recognize he was discriminated for his "philosophical belief"
(and this would not have been necessary if freedom of food choice was acknowledged by law. Omnivores cannot refuse a vegan processed meal, so there is a difference!)
- Farmers in alert from violence to their farms, about animals.
- Murders of muslims in India, abandonnned cows for fear they are suspected to want to kill it, a town totally prohibiting meat.
And more articles.
Xisca - pics! Dry subtropical Mediterranean - My project However loud I tell it, this is never a truth, only my experience...