• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
  • Mike Haasl
  • James Freyr
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Kate Downham
  • Jay Angler
  • thomas rubino

My Favorite Trellis 🍅

 
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This is our T post trellis that we set up for our cucumbers and tomatoes. It worked great and we are literally overflowing with tomatoes right now. 🍅

Everything was planted 1 foot apart with 3 foot rows. This was tight but seemed to work great!

Easy to make too- Position your T posts, Run your galvanized wire across the top like a clothes line, then use twine to trellis your vine up to your wire 👍
Screen-Shot-2019-12-07-at-8.06.02-PM.png
tomato trellis
tomato trellis
Screen-Shot-2019-12-07-at-8.05.42-PM.png
T-post trellis
T-post trellis
Screen-Shot-2019-12-07-at-8.13.11-PM.png
bowl of tomatoes
bowl of tomatoes
 
pollinator
Posts: 1008
Location: Chicago/San Francisco
136
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is the twine staked at the bottom?

Did those tomatoes just crawl up the twine by themselves or did they need lots of guidance?


Thanks,
Rufus
 
Patrick Humphrey
Posts: 12
1
chicken homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Rufus Laggren wrote:Is the twine staked at the bottom?

Did those tomatoes just crawl up the twine by themselves or did they need lots of guidance?


Thanks,
Rufus



I just tied the twine around the main stem and use the leaves and branches to catch it and create friction. Works pretty well for how easy it is.
They do need guidance and a little pruning to get going. Its simple to wrap the twine around the stalk really quick every week. We prune near the bottom and let the top branches just flop out. It gets messy but its just for fun and we are overrun with tomatoes right now. The bad thing about that cheap twine is that is doesnt last long and sometimes breaks or rots too early.
Thanks for checking it out
Patrick
 
Rufus Laggren
pollinator
Posts: 1008
Location: Chicago/San Francisco
136
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for  the idea, Patrick.

That sounds real workable. Might help my sister considerably. <g>


Cheers,
Rufus
 
Patrick Humphrey
Posts: 12
1
chicken homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Rufus Laggren wrote:Thanks for  the idea, Patrick.

That sounds real workable. Might help my sister considerably. <g>


Cheers,
Rufus



No problem! Let me know if you have any questions about it and I will try to help out.
 
Posts: 67
Location: South Mississippi
14
hugelkultur hunting homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Patrick Humphrey wrote:This is our T post trellis that we set up for our cucumbers and tomatoes. It worked great and we are literally overflowing with tomatoes right now. 🍅

Everything was planted 1 foot apart with 3 foot rows. This was tight but seemed to work great!

Easy to make too- Position your T posts, Run your galvanized wire across the top like a clothes line, then use twine to trellis your vine up to your wire 👍



How is the galvanized wire held on to T-posts? Did you fasten it like barbed wire w/ T-post wire clips ?
 
Warning! Way too comfortable! Do not sit! Try reading this tiny ad instead:
permaculture bootcamp - learn permaculture through a little hard work
https://permies.com/wiki/bootcamp
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!