This is one of the maintenance hatches I was working on getting access to. I had to remove some of the trim to get off the decorative panel that was covering the board that is front of the maintenance hatch.
I finally got access to the board covering the maintenance hatch and opened it up!
I still needed to take out a few more of the windows, so, I did that! It took me awhile!
I pulled out the broken sashes from the windows, so I can replace them later after I sand, repaint, and reglaze the windows.
These are all of the windows after I had removed the old broken sash cords from them.
This is the big box of weights and pulleys that I will be needing to clean up.
And this is me trying to clean up the pulleys with a sonicator and some soapy water. So far, it's not working too well for me.
I made an awful mess when I sanded the windows in the room. I had thought sanding in the room would be a good idea, since it would avoid the risk of damaging the windows by moving them. However, cleaning up wood dust is quite difficult. So, I might take the windows to the shop next time I do sanding. I ended up having to take out the mop, since the broom wasn't good enough.
I went over the windows with a putty knife one more time to clean them up from painting.
I semi-installed (only put in the pieces necessary to get the windows moving, in case any changes need to be made before I reinstall all the windows back in permanently) two of the windows to get the new sash cords right. I took pictures of them moving to show I got them to work!
I semi-installed the rest of the windows. The operation of thw windows will be checked and the next steps determined before I make the more permanent reinstallations.
This was the first one I put back in today. The gist of the the process was - cut the cords to the right size (about pulley to windowsill length), tie knot for window, tie knot onto weights, and test the window's function. This was not a complete reinstallation, just a short semi-installation to see what needs to be done next. The primary thing done here was getting the cord lengths correct and all tied up.
The second one I put back in today works!
Some more pictures of the process of putting a window back in
Putting in the fourth window of today
And now, all the windows have been semi-installed for testing
Since it was raining this morning, I worked mostly on the windows today. I readjusted the weights so that they're higher, to account for the cord stretching over time. I also did a different style of knot, so that the cords are less likely to come undone. I forgot to take a picture of those, but I can try to remember to later.
The thing that I worked on the most with the windows was taking out the old glazing, which required quite a lot of patience and gentleness. I was not quite as gentle as I think I ought to have been, because of the six window panes in this window, one was cracked beforehand, and then, I cracked two more. So, three out of six window panes are cracked. I didn't crack the giant window, which was the second window I worked on. These are before and after photos from removing the old glazing from the windows.
One of the projects I have done repeatedly is renovating old windows, replacing old gazing putty, broken panes and broken sash cords, etc. A recent replacement for sash weights I came across are small retractable reels with metal strips that work similar to a retractable tape measure. The obvious advantage is they allow the old cavity where the sash weights lived to be insulated, greatly lessening heat loss around the windows. Other than the advantage of double panes, uv film, etc. that are incorporated in most replacement windows, the insulation of the sash weights channels is a major part of the energy savings. It is always a shame to see 100 year old windows, often with no issues other than needing re-glazing, removed and replaced with new windows that likely will not last a couple of decades. The argument for the replacement windows is often that ugly, later vintage aluminum storm windows can be removed as the energy efficient windows can perform as well or better. A couple of times I have ran across an elderly gentleman who specializes in removing the old windows for preparation for the new replacements. He had a trailer behind his truck where he would carefully place each of the discarded windows, placing packing blankets between them. I observed to him once that it didn’t seem like these old windows were being thrown away and he admitted he restores them and sells them.
Have not tried these window retractable reels, or sash balances, but intend to get some and see how they perform.
Location: Missoula, MT US Hardy:5a Annual Precipitation: 15" Wind:4.2mph Temperature:18-87F
Yeah, I think after I finish fixing these up and putting them all back together that the sash windows will have a pretty long lifespan. I was unaware of how the weights cavity could be insulated; that's good to know.
I tried my first attempt at re glazing a window today by adding the glazier points and glazing putty.
Since half of the window panes in this window were cracked, I only put in the glazier points and glaze on the intact panes. I'm not yet sure if the cracked panes will be just kept as is, repaired, or replaced.
I remembered to take pictures of the knots I made for tying the weights on with the new sash cords.
And I took out the old glazing on a couple more of the six windows.