Hi all, I'm new to aquaponics and I have used an ibc cut in half to make 2 beds. 200L plastic drum for a radial flow filter and of course my fish pond.
I started out with 2 bell siphon but they didn't work, ran a few times then just stopped working and beds would just fill up
I saw on youtube a you siphon so built one of them and installed it and it worked so I thought, after a few fills and drains, there is still water coming through the pipe back into the pond so it is continuous draining and if left it stays in drain mode. I've tried adjusting the flow for the bed but didn't seem much difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do have a thought, since my you siphon is an external one I'm thinking of connecting 2 elbows to the drain in the drain bed as I have just left that alone since it was a bell siphon at first. I'm thinking that the water just flows into the pipe and nothing really there to force it to suck in air. So a mini you siphon in the bed i guess. Any other thoughts please
I believe I made a video on how to build a Bell Syphon a while back on my YouTube channel. (I am at work at the moment and cannot go to YouTube to supply a link).
My channel name is MySuburbanHomestead I believe.
A properly setup Bell has a wide function spectrum and is virtually bullet proof. I learned the hard way by building some bad ones in the past. Little things make a HUGE difference.
When I tune it I set it so that it has a hard time breaking the syphon. Then as the pump gets dirty over time... as the water flow slows... the syphon continues to work properly. I have never once had to re-set my syphons on my new system once set. I put a cage around the pump and set it up for success/low maintenance.
Marty Mitchell wrote: I put a cage around the pump and set it up for success/low maintenance.
What is the cage made of?
Also, I noticed one more thing that increased the pump flow rate a noticeable amount.
I set the plumbing up so that the water being lifted in minimalized. It flows up to the highest point and Then makes the split. This decreases the amount of weight of water that has to be lifted.
I first had the plumbing (before I moved from the previous house) coming up out of the tank with the split at the bottom of the beds.... then hid the plumbing so that it looked nicer.
However, I now have it going to the top of the bed height and then splitting. Debris no longer settles into the plumbing over time... and the pump now has enough force... to force any/all debris through the flow control valve's gap. Keeping the flow rate constant.