Arkady Schneider
Post     Subject: Air Pruning question

Thanks Anne! I'm going to give it a shot.

I'll be growing Black Locust, Mulberry, Heartnuts, and lace-leaf Japanese Maple for this first attempt.
Anne Pratt

Many people will tell you that landscape cloth does let the roots through!  I think it would work.  Just don't use it for its intended use.  It keeps weeds down for a year or so, then the falling leaves, mulch, and whatnot join with weed seeds to grow on top of it.  Pulling that whole mess up requires serious strength!  So at least for crabgrass, creeping Charlie, and dandelions the answer is yes, the roots will go through!

I don't know much about air pruning, but I'm sure someone will be along who has experience with it.
connor burke

https://www.facebook.com/geofflawtononline/videos/how-to-make-wicking-beds/2382279528693398/
im not sure if this video is what you are looking for but my impression is that a temperature difference will cause the soil to "breathe"
Arkady Schneider

Greetings folks,

I've got some beds with mesh floors that would be great for setting up as air pruning beds. The trouble is, the mesh is just a bit too big (loose? open?)— the soil will fall through in the first rain.

I know people use hardware cloth, but I have a surplus of pretty light-duty landscaping fabric I'm meaning to use up.

You can see through it with little difficulty so I'm sure it lets a good bit of air through. The question is, though, will it let enough through?

The built-in mesh is enough to support the weight of the dirt, so that's not a concern.

I appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Arkady