Jennifer Richardson
Post     Subject: Dry peppermint for a tea, infusion or decoction - PEP BB medicine.sand.drypeppermint

BB for certification
Opalyn Rose
Post     Subject: Dry peppermint for a tea, infusion or decoction - PEP BB medicine.sand.drypeppermint

Here is my submission for the Dry Peppermint BB - Natural Medicine Aspect - sand.

To document the completion of the BB, I have provided the following:
- a picture of my drying rack
- a picture of your fresh herbs being harvested
- a picture of your herbs drying (hanging, in a dehydrator, or in a bag, etc)
- a picture of your herbs in a sealed and labeled container.
   - label shows where the herbs came from, the date and method of drying.
- my journal page listing the attributes and uses of the herb from my peppermint infusion natural medicine post.  
Leigh Tate

I'm starting to explore more of the PEP badges and discovering all sorts of useful things. Here's my start on the Natural Medicine badge.

Harvesting fresh peppermint

Air drying on a bamboo mat.

Dried leaves stored in glass jar.

I'm also getting a start on my natural medicine journal. Peppermint is my first page!

Peppermint entry for natural medicine journal.
Rob Lineberger

Hello natural medicine people!  

Here I am harvesting peppermint.  I'm starting small to test out how this works, just a few mint sprigs.

And drying it:

And here are my final dried leafs with the information about its origins:

Kevin Wilson
Post     Subject: PEP BB medicine.sand.drypeppermint - dry peppermint for a tea, infusion or decoction

For the dried peppermint BB of natural medicine. I actually harvested a whole lot of different kinds of mint but I did keep the peppermint separate in case that matters.

Mike Haasl
Post     Subject: PEP BB medicine.sand.drypeppermint - dry peppermint for a tea, infusion or decoction

Agreed, this BB is in Natural Medicine and doesn't require the plant to be wild.  As opposed to the Foraging badge...
Cindy Haskin

Submitted for acceptance to satisfy BB requirements medicine.sand.drypeppermint
I've got more spearmint because I use more of that. But I do have a small peppermint bed.

I give my mints a quick rinse off, then lay them no more than 2 layers deep on a sheet/ light blanket, or other cloth, then wrap lightly and leave where it gets a few hours of sun each day. Usually only takes a day or 3 to be dry enough to strip off the stems and store them in something, preferring a glass jar. Wrapping in a cloth serves several purposes; absorbs the moisture, keeps direct sun off so the herbs won't bleach out, also keeps the breezes from spilling your harvest all over! And if you don't have the time to further process your harvest, it stays neatly wrapped until you can. I've actually forgotten these bundles until months later! No harm, no foul!

This shows this year's first harvest of my mints. There should be another 2 at least before I allow them to flower and set seed, from which I have had volunteers sprout where I laid those cut seed heads for just a bit too long! But those mints don't even smell the same!
Nicole Alderman

I'm thinking posted the pictures of it drying, and then with the stems off, and then in the container,  AND went out and took pictures of the mint plants, and picked a few more mint leaves, that should qualify.

The badge bit doesn't specify how much mint or where you harvested it from, so I think you've got a bit of lee-way.
Cindy Haskin

My mint (pepper and spear) is not a wild harvest. I have them both planted in "beds" of sorts. Will this still qualify for the BB? I also forgot to take pics as I'm harvesting. Will a pic of cutting just a few stems count? My first batch of the year is already dry, but I still need to remove the stems and can photograph that part and the container part. Hoping to be able to qualify my mint harvest for the progress toward a full sand badge.
Nicole Alderman

My husband drinks a LOT of mint tea for his crohn's. So I dry a lot of it!

Here's some mint I harvested:

And drying:

And in a labled container:

(There's a lot more pictures of me drying mint in the foraging thread)

And here's the journal entry:

Mike Haasl

I dried some peppermint when I made tea the other day (last month).  Normally it's dried in our solar dehydrator but it was cloudy so I used a plate in the sun in the living room for a couple days.

My journal is a Word-like document so instead of a picture of the journal, here's a cut and paste from the applicable part of my journal:

Peppermint
Culinary?  Yes, yummy!  
Medicinal uses:
 Digestive aid
 Relieves gas and nausea
 Antispasmotic
 Reduces pain of headaches, bee stings, burns and toothaches
Locations:
 South side of the orchard plum trees
Harvest log:
 10/19/19 – dried on plate

Mike Haasl

This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum.  Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in Natural Medicine.

In this badge bit, you will harvest, dry and store peppermint

You need to dry enough to make a tea, infusion or decoction. If you have not already, you will also make a journal page about the uses and attributes and how to ID and how to grow the herb

To show you've completed this Badge Bit, you must post:
- a picture of your fresh herbs being harvested
- a picture of your herbs drying (hanging, in a dehydrator, or in a bag, etc)
- a picture of your herbs in a sealed and labelled container.
    - label shows where the herbs came from, the date and method of drying.
- (optional) a picture of your journal page listing the attributes and uses of the herb.