Bill Anderson
Post     Subject: PEP BB tool.sand.hatchet - Sharpen a Hatchet

I only see one pic out of the ones posted.
Kevin Stammerjohn

Just got a new Collins Axe hatchet from the hardware store for about 20 bucks, and it seems nice but the edge is pretty terrible. This'll be my first post on a BB, so bear with me if I'm doing this wrong. I hope my pictures are good enough.

The new hatchet.

The dull edge. I shaped it a bit with a metal file first.

Shaping the edge more with a coarse stone.

After polishing with a fine stone. I did a few passes on my cutting board to knock down the wire edge. I haven't done this much with my knives, but after hearing about it from Paul's podcast review of that knife sharpening video I've been doing it, and it seems to work.

Test cuts on paper. Pretty good for a cheap hatchet it you ask me.
Ken Mullan

My first PEP 1 undertaking of the day.
Daryl Pierce

Here are my pics.
Beau Davidson

Here’s how I came out using the bench grinder. Is this satisfactory? Any suggestions?
Leif Ing

At the PEP1 workshop today, the hatchets were already being sharpened, so I sharped the $5 garage sale axe I picked up last summer.
Bill Anderson

Really not happy with a dull hatchet. I used both the course and fine sides of the sharpening stone with some honing oil.
Mike Haasl

Awesome, I just added two more videos.  The belt sander one finishes with a neat sharpness test.  Hint:  It doesn't involve shaving hair or cutting a sheet of paper...
paul wheaton

***Note for Paul:  Are power tools (grinders, belt sanders) allowed or should it be done with sandpaper, files, stones or similar methods***

Power tools are fine!

I think it would be good to show a sharpening video that is not using sandpaper.
Mike Haasl
Post     Subject: Sharpen a Hatchet - PEP BB tool.sand.hatchet

This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the PEP curriculum.  Completing this BB is part of getting the sand badge in tool care.

Hatchets are nifty!  You can cut down small trees, limb big (or small) trees, make round wood joints and notches and a bunch of other things.  Many hatchets are as dull as butter knives.  Let's change that!

Here's a video on how to do it with sandpaper from a guy with a cool accent:

And here's one using a file and stones:

And here's one using a stationary belt sander:

You can use an angle grinder as well, just follow the same ideas as shown above.

Minimum requirements:

- the edge is free of nicks and looks sharp when done

To get certified for this BB, post three pics:

- closeup of pic of the dull edge
  - action pic of sharpening
  - another closeup of sharp edge