Megan Palmer
Post     Subject: RECIPE: Simple Clafoutis

the clafoutis recipe that I use was given to me by a french girlfriend over 40 years ago, she made hers with cherries and the last two times I've made it, it was with fresh blueberries and the time before, with blood peaches from our tree. It really is a very easy and versatile cake/dessert. Plums are good too
Anne Miller

Morfydd St. Clair said And my primitive French says that it's pronounced kla-FOO-tee

Thanks for telling me how to pronounce it. Since I have never heard anyone say it and don't know French ... I was saying kla-Foo-tis so I was close and now I will say tee instead of tis.
Morfydd St. Clair

This looks wonderful!  For almost 10 years I've been using the super-simple recipe from LaTartineGourmande.com - I can't find this simple version now on her site and sadly the version that made it into her physical book is very complicated.  So copied in her writing:

"
A whole bunch of pitted cherries (I use whatever fruit--pears are incredible)
6 eggs
3/4 c. flour
pinch of salt
1 c. milk (I use mostly heavy cream, topped off with water)
And some sugar to sprinkle over it after baked.

1. Mix flour and salt with eggs.
2. Carefully stir in the milk.
3. Put in the cherries.
4. Dump all that in a buttered dish.
5. Bake at 400F - 205C for 35 minutes.

And for the Clafoutis, if you want things a little sweeter, just toss the fruit in sugar. I think that's enough to give it some sweet sparkle.

The Clafoutis will work with just about any fruit. I don't like it a lot with apples, but that's probably just me. Blueberries are good, and so are strawberries, pears (my favorite), plums, super ripe apricots (like about to fall apart), etc. It's a dish to use with whatever is in season. Chocolate is also a good sweetening touch. Just sayin'.  

"

Edited to add that she says this comes from "I Know How to Cook" by Ginette Mathiot.

And my primitive French says that it's pronounced kla-FOO-tee
Chris Sturgeon

Well, Anne, and L Allen... I am obviously not the bakers you are.
L Allen

I made one too; I couldn't resist. I used blueberries (frozen from earlier in the year) and blackberries (fresh) and the zest from half an orange I had left over from breakfast. No crust for mine, either. Making it required all of five minutes and one bowl. :-)

It's really good. Mine's a little stiffer than custard pie, but that's a good comparison.

I took this picture before it fell completely, but half an hour later, it's half-devoured and not anything like as pretty. My hubby says it would be great with whipped cream...but he'll eat whipped cream on almost anything, so your mileage may vary.

I'm totally putting this recipe in the rotation. Thanks!
Anne Miller

L Allen, it is very similar to a custard pie, maybe a little stiffer.

Chris, did you like it as much as I do?
Chris Sturgeon

You've inspired me! I am making this right now with fresh rhubarb, vanilla, and nutmeg.
Actually I've already assembled it, It's in the oven now.
L Allen

This looks really good...and super simple! I can imagine whipping one of these up with whatever odd fruit I have lying around after canning.

Is the texture something like a souffle or a custard? Or is it more cake-like?
Anne Miller

This is still my favorite recipe, one reason being that it is simple yet elegant!

My favorite is with cherry pie filling

Put into a muffin pan for tarts:

Apricots

Using pears can make it very pretty

Anne Miller

I was inspired to try to make a clafoutis from this thread.   Like many things, I had never eaten one and I am not sure I know how to pronounce it. I was not able to find the recipe here on permies so I looked on the internet to find a recipe that I thought had the ingredients that I have available.  I found one and since then I have fixed this many times.  I made some changes to make this easy to remember so I am not sure what the original recipes was.

I have not made this using a pie crust so if you plan this with a crust, then making your pie crust first would seem like the thing to do, then bake the crust.

Simple Clafoutis

3 to 4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 cups fruit, this can be fresh, frozen or canned, drained
1 pie crust (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Blend melted butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Add milk, flour, and eggs until mixed.

Arrange desired fruit in a pretty design in a greased pie pan or on top of your baked crust.  Pour egg mixture over the fruit. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes until brown, center is set and puffy. The Clafoutis will deflate as it cools.