permaculture tees pretty cob self sufficient life pdc dvd nw edible life blog
Permies likes europe and the farmer likes schengen visas and work for cash permies
  Search | Permaculture Wiki | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies | World Domination!
Register / Login
permies » forums » regional » europe
Bookmark "schengen visas and work for cash" Watch "schengen visas and work for cash" New topic

schengen visas and work for cash


Joined: Jun 05, 2011
Posts: 4
Hello all.  I have a plan to visit Europe this fall, winter, and spring; hopefully volunteering through Helpx.  I was hoping to visit Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and Greece over 5 months but it seems these are all schengen countries and apparently the limit may be 90 days for tourists.  I'm from the United States so I don't think I need a visa to visit for these 90 days but it could cut my trip short by two months, or I'd have to go somewhere else before coming back. 

Also, does anyone have experience working for cash or making money while helpxing or wwoofing?  Hopefully not too off topic but it's interesting nonetheless.  20 or 30 hours per week still leaves plenty of time to do more, if I'm not in the mood to do my own thing.

Does anyone have experience crossing borders, particularly schengen countries, to do these activities?  Do you just lie and say you're a tourist?  Or do you tell them you're volunteering/workiing?  Do you need a "work" visa to do volunteer work?  I'm checking the web sites I can find but so far have found no clear answers.

Andrew Ray

Joined: Sep 25, 2011
Posts: 154
Location: Slovakia
There is a so called " Visa" for staying in the Schengen Zone more than 3 months.  For instance:

Also, I know that at least in the Czech Republic and Slovakia you are supposed to register where you are staying with the foreign police if your stay will be more than a few days.

Joined: Jun 05, 2011
Posts: 4
thanks for the link
subject: schengen visas and work for cash