permaculture chickens movie
Permies likes great white north and the farmer likes Looking for Nova Scotians. permies
  Search | Permaculture Wiki | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies | World Domination!
Register / Login


permies » forums » regional » great white north
Bookmark "Looking for Nova Scotians." Watch "Looking for Nova Scotians." New topic
Author

Looking for Nova Scotians.

dan collins


Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Nova Scotia
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and new to nova scotia. Moved to right coast from BC last summer, would like to find some fellow permies in nova scotia to exchange ideas. Victoria was such a diferent climate to Upper Stewiacke where I bought a small farm, and have been feeling a little lost in adjusting to the later frosts...etc. Just finished my first hugelkultur and hope to do much more. Hope to hear from you fellow permies.


Experiment, invent, build, grow, share....lead by example people!!!
Willy Kerlang


Joined: Apr 29, 2011
Posts: 106
Hi Disco, I'm in NS too (South Shore). There are a few of us on here. You can also check out maritimegardening.com, which is not really about permaculture necessarily, but a growing place to network with other Maritimers. Welcome to paradise.
dan collins


Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Nova Scotia
Hi Willy thanks for replying to me, and thanks for the tip to the maritime garden site. Nice to know that there are a few of us around, yet to meet anyone anyone in my area that has even has an idea what permaculture is, very few even seem to respect organic practices. Have recieved many funny looks or rolled eyes. I toured the south shore abit when visiting a couple years back, very beautiful.
Jonathan Byron


Joined: Apr 16, 2011
Posts: 225
    
    1
I own land on Cape Breton, but am living in the US currently.

P3 is offering a PDC course near Baddeck in June, 2013. http://www.p3permaculture.ca/NS_June_PDC.html

Have y'all spoken with these folks: http://www.novascotiapermaculture.net/ ??
Scotia Scott


Joined: Mar 23, 2010
Posts: 9
Location: Laurentians, Quebec (zone 3b)
You'll likely find lots of permie kin at this event too, should be happening again this summer at the farm there in Tatamagouche:

http://freeschool.fairtrademedia.com/
pete mac sween


Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Posts: 7
Wow I envy all of you folks I grew up in Cape Breton but now live in Toronto due to the fact there is not much employment in that area. Maybe someday I will move back but for now am stuck here in Ontario. Good luck finding what you need there because most folks are not open to change or different ways of doing things, but that is simply my own opinion and experience. There are lots of people that will help you out but you just need to find them. Here is a link to NC State University and 38 seperate classes on a wide variety of permaculture issues ranging from introduction, soil, site analysis, design, trees, composting, water catchment etc.. Hope this is of some help, if nothing else it just might give you some ideas.
pete mac sween


Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Posts: 7
OOOPPSS....Forgot to add the link
http://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Catalog/Full/f5a893e74b7c4b7980fd52dcd1ced71521/?state=X6km6MWxet0Fow8uljpu
Vern Faulkner


Joined: Jan 01, 2013
Posts: 35
Southwest New Brunswick here - trying to ease off-grid, towards permaculture, in the next few years.
Heather Holm


Joined: May 13, 2011
Posts: 7
Location: Nova Scotia
The Blockhouse School Project on the South Shore near Mahone Bay, http://www.theblockhouseschool.org/, is transforming an abandoned school and 6 acres into a model for how to become more self-sufficient and sustainable, which includes permaculture.

We're running our second PDC in May-June 2013 taught by Graham Calder of P3 Permaculture, who is moving to Antigonish right now. We're also fundraising so we can meet Dep't of Environment regulations regarding the septic (much as we'd love to put in a greywater system, there is no "greywater" in Nova Scotia, and it will take years to change the rules, and we're much too public a project to try to get around it).

We have a few hoops to jump through before we can own the property, but we're doing what we can in the meantime.
Heather Holm


Joined: May 13, 2011
Posts: 7
Location: Nova Scotia
There's also a Facebook group called Permaculture, Sustainable Farming & Off-Grid Nova Scotia at http://www.facebook.com/groups/130703066110/
Anne Murphy


Joined: Dec 02, 2013
Posts: 5
Location: Nova Scotia
Hello from the valley.. we acquired an abandon farm, and are working on moving in and cleaning it up.. with the hope of being self sufficient and sustainable in the future.

Thanks for the links
dan collins


Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Nova Scotia
Thanks for post the posts and links everyone. Sounds like there are more of us than I though, excellent.

Permies travelling in the Truro area, contact me I would love to give a tour of what we up to here at Backwards Brook Farm, Upper Stewiacke.

Andreae Callanan


Joined: Feb 13, 2014
Posts: 9
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada zone 5b
Hi everyone! I'm in Newfoundland, but I'm going to post here so I can keep up-to-date on any exciting happenings in NS - there aren't generally any PDC opportunities here, but traveling to NS to study wouldn't be impossible. I'm planning to visit Halifax for a short time this spring or summer, and I would love to take in a permaculture workshop or two if I can make it work. Fingers crossed!
James Wheeler


Joined: Nov 25, 2013
Posts: 11
I'm coming home from Maui this summer to take the P3 permaculture design course in Antigonish. I fly in around the 15th of May. Are any of you interested in seed sharing and work trade?

I really want to practice building rocket stoves of all kinds, Natural building and pond construction.
James Wheeler


Joined: Nov 25, 2013
Posts: 11
Forgot to mention I am working on 7 acres of land outside of Oxford and living in Amherst.
Jennifer Surrette


Joined: May 03, 2013
Posts: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm currently living in Halifax. My partner and I are looking to buy land in the Windsor to Stewiacke area to start a farm/homesteading. I've been studying permaculture on my own for a couple of years and just took my PDC in May/June (James was there too...hi James!). I've been experimenting in my backyard for many years and there's little room left for anything else. I'm interested in growing perennial vegetables, mushrooms (in a food forest), and medicinal herbs/plants. I'm learning about beekeeping now. It's comforting to know there are like-minded people in the province.
dan collins


Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Nova Scotia
Thanks for the post Jennifer. You sound to be in the same situation as me proir to moving to the Stewiacke Valley. We love it here and recently discovered many more homesteader/permie minded people in the upper Stewiacke area.

We found we lucked out with the farm we chose as we are close to (5k) gas, mail, groceries, part-time employment and bank. This has saved us many hours and gas $. Aswell having a small home and wood heat allows us to be warm without large heat bill.
Fallon Wilson


Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 16
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone, we are making serious plans to purchase land in NS this winter/Spring and wondering about concerns like strict building codes, areas to avoid etc. Ive bookmarked the posted links after checking them out. We are coming from Ontario and will be Tiny Homing it in a converted Bus RV until we can build our home in NS. We are travelling to various festivals and events to vend my partners art work, jewlellry etc and breaking the chain of city life for good.
Jeff Higgins


Joined: May 16, 2013
Posts: 8
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
The North Shore area(Tatamagoughe) is a very diverse and eclectic area, if you are looking for opportunities. Besides the free school put on by the waldengrave community, I know of Biodynamic farmer who is attempting to form an intentional "commun"ity with a relatively low buy in to his farm. If you are organic and preparing for self sufficiency ie Prepping there is also a possibility for cheap land or assocation with that group. Build your own tiny home etc. there are Cob homes, organic homesteaders and generally a free spirit in the area.
Christine Fedora


Joined: Jan 09, 2013
Posts: 8
Hi, I was living in Upper Stewiacke for 10 years, slowly working towards my permaculture and self sustaining goals. Last March we moved to Cape Breton. Now I am looking for like minded people in my area. There are a ton of amazing, like minded people in Upper Stewiacke. If you haven't done so already go in to Cochrane family farm.
kyle saunders


Joined: Dec 19, 2014
Posts: 22
    
    1
Hi there Dan,

Lived in Nova Scotia for my whole life. Been reading these forums for a while. Just saw this thread and it encouraged me to join and start talkin. We've got a 50acre, post-clear-cut in Graywood (nearest town you might have heard of is Annapolis Royal). We have a 3 or 4 acre soft/hard wood mixed forest on the plot with a camp, and are beginning a food forest / edible landscape within the clear cut.

We're a bit (read: a lot) into the idea of nature doing most of the work, mostly so she doesn't undo it when she doesn't like our ideas. Third year starts in 2015. We put in a dozen or so fruit trees last year and the year before we experimented with soil building and did a lot of observation. Don't get down there nearly enough (once or twice a month) and it's great to see that she's been doing well and taking care of things. The pond is almost a pond, and the gardens are definitely gardens.

I live in the Halifax area during the week, working away and dreamin of 'retirin' to the land. Just thought I'd say hello and let you know there is a pretty deep network of interesting farming folk around this province. Next time you get to a workshop, talk around and offer someone some help on their farm. It's always surprising to see what other people do in this strange climate. One of our land partners gets paid for farmwork in plants and has been beefin up our gardens this way from the beginning.

Anyway, thanks for bringing my permaculture surfing back home, now I can get back to day dreaming.
bill berry


Joined: Dec 24, 2014
Posts: 4
Kyle, we are not far from you. we have 100 acres in clementsvale, where we were living off grid, till we had some issues with the county inspectors...


kyle saunders wrote:Hi there Dan,

Lived in Nova Scotia for my whole life. Been reading these forums for a while. Just saw this thread and it encouraged me to join and start talkin. We've got a 50acre, post-clear-cut in Graywood (nearest town you might have heard of is Annapolis Royal). We have a 3 or 4 acre soft/hard wood mixed forest on the plot with a camp, and are beginning a food forest / edible landscape within the clear cut.

We're a bit (read: a lot) into the idea of nature doing most of the work, mostly so she doesn't undo it when she doesn't like our ideas. Third year starts in 2015. We put in a dozen or so fruit trees last year and the year before we experimented with soil building and did a lot of observation. Don't get down there nearly enough (once or twice a month) and it's great to see that she's been doing well and taking care of things. The pond is almost a pond, and the gardens are definitely gardens.

I live in the Halifax area during the week, working away and dreamin of 'retirin' to the land. Just thought I'd say hello and let you know there is a pretty deep network of interesting farming folk around this province. Next time you get to a workshop, talk around and offer someone some help on their farm. It's always surprising to see what other people do in this strange climate. One of our land partners gets paid for farmwork in plants and has been beefin up our gardens this way from the beginning.

Anyway, thanks for bringing my permaculture surfing back home, now I can get back to day dreaming.
Joe Oblenis


Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 16
    
    1
What an interesting thread this is. I am originally from Nova Scotia myself, Amherst. Been in northwestern Ontario nearly 7 years now and out in BC for roughly 7 years before that.
Getting more and more interested in off grid living/ permaculture all the time.
Been working from home the last several years doing some woodworking items from a two car garage and am dreaming of ways to transition into something more off grid. Moving east is certainly an option for early 2015!

Cheers... Joe O'
kyle saunders


Joined: Dec 19, 2014
Posts: 22
    
    1
bill berry wrote:Kyle, we are not far from you. we have 100 acres in clementsvale, where we were living off grid, till we had some issues with the county inspectors...


That's veery, very close. Just up and over a hill or two actually. Good to know that our county actually inspects, before I give them anything to inspect about. Mind if I ask what they were displeased with? And if you were building out of sight or along the road? We're off in the woods with little traffic, aside from hunter/fishers and dog walkers. But we're not looking to put more than a camp, shed, outhouse and some greenhouses. Oi, hope that goes over well.

heh.


Joe Oblenis wrote:Moving east is certainly an option for early 2015!


Do it!
dan collins


Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Nova Scotia
Right on. There are more and more of us. Thanks for all the replies.

Other than during the winter, I rarely I have time off the farm. I would like to fit something in this year permie-ish, any meetups I should know about for 2015?

bill berry


Joined: Dec 24, 2014
Posts: 4
Kyle, we built a 8x20 between 2 campers to make a spot for wood heat. it was only temporay, so we didn't get the proper approval.
someone reported us to the county, and have had to deal with trying to get it permited. where we are, is a water shed, and we are too close to the property line(not near the water, actually further away from the water) they now want us to move it all 20' closer to the water......
we are 4km from the pavement, and power, with no other houses, or camps on our road. we are 1km from the county road, on our own property, and still got reported.
for a season cabin, etc, the county is pretty decient to deal with. But it is in your best interested to talk to them before building anything.

kyle saunders wrote:
bill berry wrote:Kyle, we are not far from you. we have 100 acres in clementsvale, where we were living off grid, till we had some issues with the county inspectors...


That's veery, very close. Just up and over a hill or two actually. Good to know that our county actually inspects, before I give them anything to inspect about. Mind if I ask what they were displeased with? And if you were building out of sight or along the road? We're off in the woods with little traffic, aside from hunter/fishers and dog walkers. But we're not looking to put more than a camp, shed, outhouse and some greenhouses. Oi, hope that goes over well.

heh.


Joe Oblenis wrote:Moving east is certainly an option for early 2015!


Do it!
dan collins


Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 54
Location: Nova Scotia
The "Blockhouse work party afternoons" which were held on fridays last year and ended on dec 15 sounds fun. I hope to get to one if they do it again this year.

Did anyone here make it out to a blockhouse work party?



kyle saunders


Joined: Dec 19, 2014
Posts: 22
    
    1
Thanks Bill.

I think I will try to push it for our first few structures, but if we plan anything that big it's good to know. Hopefully we run into each other at the Lequille store one day!

I've never been to the blockhouse work parties, but the place blockhouse does sound familiar.
Ross Raven


Joined: Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 55
    
    7
Umn! Someone said I should be here. This is a new site so it might take a while to navigate. Please forgive. Im a bit of a trouble maker. Some people like that. These are my credentials. http://internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5503
Quick question. Do I actually belong here? Before I immerse myself, best to talk to the local smart guys in charge. Its not the usual way people usually introduce themselves... But it sounds like a good idea to the moment. Your comment?
Joe Oblenis


Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 16
    
    1
Ross Raven wrote:Umn! Someone said I should be here. This is a new site so it might take a while to navigate. Please forgive. Im a bit of a trouble maker. Some people like that. These are my credentials. http://internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5503
Quick question. Do I actually belong here? Before I immerse myself, best to talk to the local smart guys in charge. Its not the usual way people usually introduce themselves... But it sounds like a good idea to the moment. Your comment?


Yeah Ross...I think this is the right place for you!! I am fairly new here as well and it was a bit overwhelming at first. There are just so many good resources on these forums. I'm glad ythat I found it when i did and I'm glad you are in here too!

Cheers... Joe O'Blenis
Jeff Higgins


Joined: May 16, 2013
Posts: 8
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Glad to see you're finally on permies, Ross. Lots of cool stuff covered on here. Check out the wofati buildings threads that will give you some ideas on your root cellar. That should be a great group project for the summer. That will a great weekend project for a group of us
 
 
subject: Looking for Nova Scotians.