• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Rocket-Cob Oven Design w/heated bench or mass for Evergreen State College

 
Nick Wooten
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello!

I am searching for really good designs for a Rocket-cob oven with a heated bench or mass.

We are wanting to build something like this in our Permaculture demonstration garden and would love to work with someone enthusiastic about installing a demonstration unit at the Evergreen State College.

I know there are a lot of designs for rocket stoves and cob ovens but I've seen a couple of really interesting Rocket-cob ovens but haven't been able to find a good manual or walk through yet.

If you can point me in the right direction or share your knowldege I'm all ears!
 
tel jetson
steward
Posts: 3346
Location: woodland, washington
75
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
a proven design. scroll down the page a bit.
 
Roy Clarke
Posts: 130
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nick Wooten wrote:..... installing a demonstration unit at the Evergreen State College.


I think more work done by colleges and universities would bring RMHs nearer to gaining official acceptance. Much of the design work has been done already, but the evaluation and testing to acceptable standards is too expensive for a lone designer, whereas universities may be able to get funding because of the low fuel input required and the consequent environmental benefits. We know they're there (or we like to believe they are), we need the figures that the-powers-that-be will accept.
 
Ernie Wisner
volunteer
Posts: 790
Location: Tonasket washington
25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
the problem comes in when folks try to build something that they dont understand for folks who are looking for something that works out of the box.
it's often due to students jumping into something and not being as conscious of the need ton show the admin folks that the project can be an asset long term rather than a temporary obstruction. this was what i observed at OSU; student projects where always considered to be at most a 4 year inconvenience. Most times Professors are not involved so projects get done a little hap hazard. not a big problem but substantial when we are speaking of administrations looking to save money. it costs as much to remove a project as to build a project.
 
Devon Olsen
Posts: 1052
Location: SE Wyoming -zone 4
7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
when you get to constructing this RMH, could you ask the students to brainstorm ways to make the barrel an asset of the design, as it stands i haven't personally seen any that can accomplish this, it seems the barrel is somehow a slight eyesore in every design, still worth it in ones own home but for resale value it seems a little bit of a nuisance having the barrel there...
 
Isaac Hill
volunteer
Posts: 354
Location: Beaver County, Pennsylvania (~ zone 6)
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I find the barrel actually rather endearing, kinda steampunk.
 
Susan Noyes
Posts: 50
Location: Dallas TX
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ernie Wisner wrote:the problem comes in when folks try to build something that they dont understand for folks who are looking for something that works out of the box.
it's often due to students jumping into something and not being as conscious of the need ton show the admin folks that the project can be an asset long term rather than a temporary obstruction. this was what i observed at OSU; student projects where always considered to be at most a 4 year inconvenience. Most times Professors are not involved so projects get done a little hap hazard. not a big problem but substantial when we are speaking of administrations looking to save money. it costs as much to remove a project as to build a project.


Ernie,
I teach ceramics at a community college and think that some permaculture classes might generate very good attendance. I keep thinking of the stacking functions of rocket mass heater, oven, forge and kiln. Do you have a syllabus or something like it that could be submitted to the dean in my division? If it were to be added to the curriculum as a sculptural workshop


Isaac Hill
Today 9:38:59 PM CDT Subject: Rocket-Cob Oven Design w/heated bench or mass for Evergreen State College
I find the barrel actually rather endearing, kinda steampunk.


I could offer you and Erica bed and breakfast accommodations if the workshop were to materialize. I really should check with my husband before I offer that but what can I say I like living on the edge.

Susan
 
Martin Mikush
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Susan Noyes wrote:[quote=...
Ernie,
I teach ceramics at a community college and think that some permaculture classes might generate very good attendance. I keep thinking of the stacking functions of rocket mass heater, oven, forge and kiln. Do you have a syllabus or something like it that could be submitted to the dean in my division? If it were to be added to the curriculum as a sculptural workshop

I find the barrel actually rather endearing, kinda steampunk.

...
Susan


I agree that treating the barrel in a creative way could be an asset.
Talking about ceramics and sculpture and rocket stoves - we did a heat riser and burn channel as a separate fireclay "ceramic' study - both to make it more fluid and to get some practise in building bigger shapes out of fireclay mix.
https://plus.google.com/photos/107746249051632795847/albums/5694431262221710657

I agree it could be a good field for academical research and students could help with particular details , build by them as a asigment.

Martin M
 
Ernie Wisner
volunteer
Posts: 790
Location: Tonasket washington
25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


"Ernie,
I teach ceramics at a community college and think that some permaculture classes might generate very good attendance. I keep thinking of the stacking functions of rocket mass heater, oven, forge and kiln. Do you have a syllabus or something like it that could be submitted to the dean in my division? If it were to be added to the curriculum as a sculptural workshop




I could offer you and Erica bed and breakfast accommodations if the workshop were to materialize. I really should check with my husband before I offer that but what can I say I like living on the edge.

Susan"

Hi Susan
Yes i believe Erica and I could work up a syllabus and Curriculum. The oven and RMH can be used for several things in the craft Area. The oven reaches heats that can vitrify clay so a Kiln is not out of the question. the Rocket itself reaches heats that can be used for aluminum or bronze casting Etc. if you send me an E-mail with your other ideas i think we can work something out that would convince the admin. one consideration is that all these earthen structures need cover. A roof even if it is just a pole building would be good and a dedicated group that is going to actually use the new facilities long term. makes it far more attractive to an admin board if the project is going to be useful and pretty and it can be pointed at as an example of what the school is doing to go green.
 
This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. Now it's a tiny ad:   2016 PDC and Appropriate Technology Course at Wheaton Labs http://richsoil.com/pdc
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic