I've got a couple of pine trees that were blown down in last winters storms cut up and laying around the yard. I don't burn pine in my woodburner because of creosote build up in the chimney. Given the nearly total consumption of wood in a rocket mass heater, can pine (other soft woods) be safely used?
I burn pine in my cast iron stove simply because I have a lot of it around on the property. It doesn't burn as hot or as long, but I've never had any problems. Then again, I tend to keep my fire burning hot when I have it on (lot of airflow). I also check the chimney regularly for buildup, just in case.
Not sure how it would work in a RMH. Curious to see what folks say.
Joined: Jul 28, 2010
Location: rainier OR
if you damper down an airtight the pine pich will condense on your chimney like creosote but much faster putting you in danger of a chimney fire when you open it back up. newer stoves have catalytic bits that may be damages by the resin
When I lived in Colorado I burned a lot of pine in our wood stove. All we had on our property was pine and aspens, mostly pine. It did foul up the chimney, but when that is what you have you find ways to deal with it. kent