From: CFACinfo <cfacinfo@MissoulaCFAC.org> Please help spread the word:
Position Opening with the Community Food & Agriculture Coalition
Application Deadline: October 24, 2011
The Community Food & Agriculture Coalition is currently seeking a Farm to School Program Coordinator to implement and expand the Farm to School program within Missoula's District 1, as well as initiate outreach to other school districts. Position is half-time, approx. 20 hours per week. Position begins as soon as possible and goes through the end of the school year in June, 2012.
The Missoula Farm to School program was founded in 2005, and seeks to connect Montana growers with Missoula County Public Schools (MCPS). Through this effort, we aim to bring the nutritious benefits of fresh food into the school food program, provide educational opportunities that link youth to food and place, and open up new markets for farmers.
Primary responsibilities for this position include:
1. Community outreach and program promotion through use of media and presentations to teachers, PTAs, school boards and other community groups.
2. Coordinate with Garden City Harvest to ensure good communication and collaboration between the community education efforts with farm tours and school gardens.
3. Develop a comprehensive one-day program for all kids in one specified grade to ensure that each child gets a Farm to School experience while in that grade
4. Develop a 'Farmer in the Classroom' program for in-class education.
5. Provide workshops for farmers and gardeners for in-class presentations and workshops.
6. Engage community member volunteers to assist with Farm to School within the schools.
7. Facilitate nutrition education, including taste tests, central kitchen tours, and cooking cart activities.
8. Act as a liaison between local area farmers and the MCPS central kitchen staff, in order to ensure the integration of Montana grown foods into the school menu.
Passion for community building and local foods. Understanding of and support for CFAC's perspective on food, agriculture and conservation. Knowledge of local food systems desirable. Strong communication skills, including writing and presenting. Previous experience in education desirable. Ability to work independently and take initiative. Experience working with populations of diverse ages and socio-economic background. Strong organizational skills. Strong computer skills including basic Microsoft programs and social networking sites. Please see our website for more information about the program. Submit cover letter, resume and 3 references to: Bonnie Buckingham at email@example.com.
Bonnie Buckingham Executive Director Missoula Community Food & Agriculture Coalition 117 W. Broadway Missoula, MT 59802 406-880-0543 bonnie@MissoulaCFAC.org Please help spread the word:
subject: Position Opening with the Community Food & Agriculture Coalition