silly knights*
Permies likes chickens and the farmer likes Maggot Feeding Station for Poultry permies
  Search | Permaculture Wiki | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies | World Domination!
Register / Login

permies » forums » critters » chickens
Bookmark "Maggot Feeding Station for Poultry" Watch "Maggot Feeding Station for Poultry" New topic
Author

Maggot Feeding Station for Poultry

kennedy1313

maybe it was on a ornamental fish pond website? each one of the voices in my head want to to a different web site

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- the Dalai Lama

I can vouch for the awesomeness of BSFL (Black Soldier Fly Larvae).  They are incredibly-fast and non-picky eaters, eating pretty much anything they can bite into, including the stuff vermicomposting worms don't like.  However, they have difficulty processing certain hard materials like eggshells, hard seeds, cellulose plant materials, animal bones, etc .... unless pulverized.  I've experimented with throwing these types of materials into a Vitamix blender, which pulverizes everything into a 'smoothie'.  I then dump it into the BSFL bin and it is literally gone within an hour.  And yes, they love poo from anything.  I can now get a little less annoyed when my dog leaves landmines, since it's a nice treat for the BSFL.  Yes, they are excellent processors of humanure too, although I've not yet used them for that.  Too bad lotsa people are so grossed out by the talk of poo... I think we need to start realizing the stuff is gold in the grand circle of life.
Bobby Smith

Long thread...I have to admit I didn't read the entire thing. However...

What you may want to look into is rearing black soldier flies. They will eat anything...even an entire mongoose! They are attracted naturally, so there is no stocking, and if you build the growth area correctly there is no maintenance other than throwing in kitchen scraps. It is a self-feeding contraption that will give constant streams of fresh protein to your chickens or fish. We use it in our aquaponics and chicken areas.
Devon Olsen

i eventually plan to do this to make use of meat and fat scraps that are left from the table, instead of throwing them away, they go in the bucket, with a handful of straw, leaves, woodchips or sawdust to lock up any potential stench, the maggots eat all the meat gone and then you take the bones that are left and use them to make bone salve for your trees, even using chicken meat i dont see any risk because they arent eating the meat, theyre eating the maggots...

Current Cheyenne, WY project
"Do you Hugel?" T-shirts and other products
Craig Dobbelyu

I've had really good luck with the maggot bucket so far. Make sure to have lots of holes in the bottom so that the maggots can get out easily and rain can drain through quickly too. I add a good layer of hay on the bottom and then freshly dead critters like rats, mice, chipmunks or fresh guts from processed chickens. Then I add another layer of hay to fill the bucket up to the top. I hang it up about a foot off the ground and let nature do the rest. Flies show up for the first day or so then the maggots start pouring out of the top and bottom of the bucket for another week. I get a little smell but not too bad and the chickens don't seem to mind at all. That bucket is their first stop in the morning when they come out of the coop. They seem to go back to it every hour to check for more maggots.

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result”

-Gandhi
Xisca Nicolas

Great! These flies are wonderful!
Any more tries?
I have to see if this BSfly lives in zone 11!

I had planned a worm compost, in stones and concrete with tubes to let the liquid out, and an opening side t wheelbarrow level so that it easy to handle.
So I think it would be great to add a BSF compost on the higher side.
I have read it is great to put the fly compost into the worm compost...

This is good but expansive:
http://www.thebiopod.com/pages/biopod-plus.html

This is cheap but still small and in plastic:
http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/bsf-bucket-composter-version-2-1/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=I5V5-WNJZ-3U5H-DI97-SYDK-C4Z5-PTX8-BBQW

golf balls and foam filters certainly work, but if there is a way to use pine needles without having it all stuck with additional work to reorganize it...

Xisca - Canary - Look at pics! Dry subtropical Mediterranean - My project
However loud I tell it, this is never a truth, only my experience...
Xisca Nicolas

I like this DIY for a first try! Really easy and almost nothing to buy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfYmIEn4Hg
Jamie Holcomb

This is a very interesting thread. Question though I live in Michigan and I am not sure if we have BSF's or not. How do I go about getting some to start with or do I just set up the compost and let nature run it's course? We certainly have plenty of fly's in our neck of the woods so would any type that happened to set up shop work the same way?
Kate McCullagh

I lay sheets of corrogated iron over weeds, and places I want clear of long grass, along paths. Or fence lines, or around sheds. Leave for 1. 2. 3 months. DO lift carefully, tho, remembering there may be a rare snake sheltering. I find they are as gobsmacked as me. I apologise and gently replace what I've lifted, and leave it However, that hasn't happened with sheet tin, but when I went to move an old unused kennel. If need be, put rocks on top of tin, to flatten. I have about 20. Every month or two, I move one, to flatten opposite side, or cover other weeds. I always check for little lizards, and I always try to rescue worms, because I love them so, anything exciting, but there are always slaters, etc and the magpies and chooks have learnt to come over when I call.
Tom Harner

I must say... it stinks... I put a dead possum in one of these buckets, plenty of straw... whewee it stinks. plenty of chicken food though.

subject: Maggot Feeding Station for Poultry

what about youngerberries?